Information Systems Officer / Programmer1
- Company: Dispensers for Safe Water
- Deadline: Thursday 15th August 2013
- Location: Kisumu
About Dispensers for Safe Water
Each year, over 1.8 million children under the age of five die from diarrhea, a leading cause of which is unsafe drinking water. Dispensers for Safe Water (DSW) is an entrepreneurial team tasked with scaling the Chlorine Dispenser System (CDS) – a proven innovation that dramatically expands access to water treatment at an extremely low cost. DSW currently serves more than 640,000 people in Kenya and 100,000 people in Uganda, and plans to reach 5 million people in the next 3 years.
About the Position
The Information Systems Officer /Programmer will be responsible for developing and maintaining key applications and information systems which drive DSW operations and expansion. IS Officer Position requires the strong web and mobile programming experience and database admin. The IS Officer will be based in Kisumu, the DSW Headquarters in Kenya, and reports to the Information Systems Manager.
Goals and Responsibilities
The IS Officer will develop, update and maintain several web and mobile applications which will allow DSW to effectively serve millions of people – for example:
· Web applications (PHP) e.g. Issue Tracker, Chlorine Delivery Manager, Inventory Manager used by our Operations team in six field offices in Kenya and Uganda
· Custom Android application for use by almost 100 field staff in remote areas.
· Mobile/electronic surveying systems (Open Data Kit)
· Real-time online dashboards, reports and program scorecards
· Mapping and spatial data management tools
This area of responsibility includes:
• Gather user requirements and translate into technical specifications for new projects
• Develop web and mobile systems using PHP, HTML/CSS and Android/Java
• Analyze existing systems to address issues of scalability, data storage, bandwidth etc
· Carry out extensive testing, piloting, training and iterative development
Support Data Collection and Reporting
The IS Officer will support data management activities (surveys, cleaning, analytics, reporting) from 5 regional offices in Kenya and other DSW country programs. This area of responsibility includes:
· Maintain the data server and ensure implementation of new surveys as they are created
· Carry out data cleaning and implement data management protocols with regional office coordinators
· Participate in field staff training and respond to support issues on the ground
Identify New Opportunities and Advise Management
· Work with program and country management teams to identify opportunities for creating or improving information systems
• Research and apply emerging tech solutions and best-practices to DSW operations
· Create plans for information system development in collaboration with managers and other key staff members
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology/Systems or related field
* A minimum of 3 years work experience in software development and/or programming
· Excellent web development skills (PHP and HTML/CSS) with portfolio of past projects.
· Mobile development experience (Android) or excellent knowledge of Java programming language
· Database development/administration experience in any major RDMBS (PostgreSQL preferred)
· Familiar with design patterns, object oriented concepts, and software development methodologies.
· Proven leadership capacity with strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
· Self-starter, capable of working remotely and independently
· Strong critical thinking and communication skills a must
NOTE: Please specifically illustrate the above desired qualifications in your cover letter by giving examples from your experience.
In addition, this position requires a candidate to:
· Be inspired by DSW’s mission of bringing safe water to millions of people
· Have a strong commitment to evidence-based practice and policy in the development field
· Be enthusiastic to develop personally and professionally as part of a growing global team
· Have an entrepreneurial spirit – DSW is a dynamic program, with many opportunities for growth and leadership
How to apply
Note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
· Send a CV and a cover letter and a description/portfolio of past work projects (including links and samples where relevant) to email@example.com
· In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: DSW Information Systems Officer/Programmer
· Attachments: Please attach your CV, cover letter, and portfolio
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a decision may be made before the deadline.
- EXPERT TALK - IBM'S RESEARCH DR. KOMMIE WELDEMARIAM... Tuesday 11th March 2014 2:04am
- DevOps Day Nairobi 2014... Tuesday 11th March 2014 2:04am
- NAIROBIJS MARCH MEETUP – PLAYING WITH ANGULARJS... Tuesday 11th March 2014 2:04am
- INTEL – GOOGLE DEVELOPER GROUP MEETUP... Tuesday 11th March 2014 2:04am