SME Advisor, Renewable Energy1
- Company: GVEP International
- Deadline: Tuesday 9th July 2013
- Location: Kampala
Job Title: Enterprise Support Specialist
Based in: Kampala or Nairobi
GVEP International works to increase the effectiveness of energy product/service providers by supporting micro, small and medium enterprises to strengthen, expand and diversify their businesses, and improve their ability to raise capital and scale-up. To do this, GVEP provides high-quality financial, technology, engineering and project management services.
In September 2012, GVEP International formed a partnership with the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) to manage the Capital Access for Renewable Energy Enterprises (“CARE2”) project, a US$7 million programme to improve capital access for renewable energy enterprises in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda. The programme has two components relevant to this role:
1. An Enterprise Support Team (“EST”) to provide investment-readiness and other customized support. The EST assists clients to refine business plans, investor pitches, grant applications, project feasibility work, and to prepare for due diligence, develop financing strategies, and engage with investors, grant-makers and banks. It also links businesses with complementary market participants, supports strategic planning, marketing and distribution, supply chain management, and financial management.
2. A Financial Access Facility, to improve the supply of capital, in particular bank debt, by partially underwriting a default risk on loans to qualifying e-MSMEs. This Facility is a scaled-up version of GVEP’s existing loan guarantee fund, enabling it to reach more businesses with larger amounts of capital.
In addition to CARE2, GVEP is involved in other projects relevant to this role:
1. Energy SMEs (ESME) is a programme providing technical assistance, project development support, and cash grants to energy SMEs in 5 countries in Africa.
2. The Climate Innovation Centre provides incubation, capacity building and financing to Kenyan entrepreneurs developing innovative climate mitigation/adaptation initiatives.
3. Other projects: GVEP supports enterprises through capacity building, mentorship, project development and access to finance. The organisation is continuously looking for new opportunities for projects aligned with its mission of accelerated access to energy.
The Financial Access Specialist is a key role within the Enterprise Support Team which includes responsibilities related to the Financial Access Facility:
• Developing and executing a strategy to create a robust pipeline of engagements
• Executing client engagements to support energy SMEs and project developers
• Helping clients access concessionary/commercial financing (grants, debt, equity) using knowledge of investment requirements and helping negotiate and structure financings
• Supporting implementation of business plans, and interacting with in-house M&E team to ensure expected results are achieved, measured and evaluated
• Maintaining a high standard of support provided by ensuring high quality input from staff and consultants, with attention to detail and a focus on results
• Developing a strong knowledge of finance and investment related to GVEP supported businesses, as well as technologies and best practises
• Developing a personal network in the regional finance and investment community, as well with advisors and technology experts
Managing a team of business/technology experts, filing gaps to meet client requirements
• 5-7 years’ experience in business development services, impact or VC investing, strategic or management consulting, or business technical assistance.
• Experience in the critical analysis of business and investment plans, financial structures, and feasibility studies.
• Expertise in the energy sector including renewable energy project development, operations, and financing (grant, equity or debt).
• Knowledge of start-up and early stage entrepreneurship and investment.
• Experience working with rural business models, and an understanding of unique challenges faced by African businesses.
• Good team building and motivational skills with an ability to work with a diverse mix of professionals and deliver; a good communicator with advanced oral and written skills.
• A can-do and collaborative mindset – comfortable with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly evolving environment.
The position will require regular travel within East Africa.
To apply please send your CV plus a cover letter (in English) outlining how your knowledge, skills and experience match the job specification to molly.doyle(at)gvepinternational.org.
GVEP International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
How to apply
Please see email below.
- Wireless Wednesday - Opportunities and Challenges for Adoption of mHealth Solutions in Kenya... Wednesday 23rd July 2014 12:00pm
- #FailFaire Nairobi - Mishaps. Mistakes. Migraines... Thursday 17th July 2014 7:00pm
- ENTREPRENEURS FORUM #3... Saturday 19th July 2014 10:00am
- Job Hunting 4 Techies 101... Wednesday 9th July 2014 5:30pm