- Company: The Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission of Kenya (TJRC)
- Deadline: Saturday 30th April 2011
- Location: Nairobi
On behalf of the Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission of Kenya (TJRC), HURIDOCS is seeking a seeking highly motivated individual with proven team management abilities and data analysis skills to manage the transfer of information from over 20’000+ statements collected by the TJRC staff into a structured database.
This is an international posting of 12 months, but restricted to applicants from Africa. The successful applicant will be based at the TJRC’s headquarters in Nairobi and report directly to the Commissioners.
When applying, please indicate when you can be available to start work. Priority will be given to candidates who are available at short notice.
The TJRC is established by an Act of Parliament (Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission Act no. 6 of 2008) to investigate the gross human rights violations and other historical injustices in Kenya between 12 December 1963 and 28 February 2008. The TJRC’s activities include to:
- Investigate all of the violations listed above Identify the individuals, public institutions, bodies, organizations, public office holders, the State, state actors, or persons purporting to have acted on behalf of any public body responsible for or involved in the violations and abuses;
- Identify and specify the victims of the violations and abuses and make appropriate recommendations for redress, including reparations;
- Create a historical record of violations of human rights abuses; Identify and recommend prosecutions of any person responsible or involved in serious violations of human rights, including socio-economic rights;
- Make recommendations for systemic and institutional reform to ensure that such violations do not occur in the future
The TJRC has collected over 20,000 detailed statements from victims and witness as part of this process, which now need to be computerized so as to inform the TJRC’s analysis and reporting. More information is available on the TJRC’s website at http://www.tjrckenya.org/
Responsible for managing the coding and data entry of 20,000+ statements collected by the Kenyan Truth, Justice, and Reconciliation Commission involving:
- Oversight of 30 coders and data entry personnel.
- Management of the standardized coding process including weekly inter-rater reliability testing and determinations in ambiguous cases.
- Management of the data entry process including dual data entry for random subset of statements and/or other methods for testing data quality.
- Editing of database for out-of-scope values.
- Randomized ordering of coding and data entry process to allow data in database to be representative of the statements prior to full data entry being completed.
- Enforcement of data security measures including check in/check out procedure for paper statements and logging of completion of coding and data entry tasks via a statement control file.
Additional responsibilities include regular interaction with research team, education of research team as to best uses of quantitative information available from the database, and incorporation of database information into final Commission Report.
Database management experience, excellent computer skills including proficiency in Excel (pivot tables and statistical graphics), data analysis experience, good written and oral communication skills. Proven managerial ability to lead and motivate a team of 30 persons and meet performance targets in terms of quality and time. Very high aptitude for precision to ensure consistent and high quality data entry. B.A. or B.S. with major in social sciences, statistics, or computer science required; M.A. or M.S. a plus. Experience with human rights-related data a plus.
How to apply
Qualified and interested persons should send an application letter as soon as possible, with a detailed CV, naming at least two professional referees, by email to Daniel D’Esposito, HURIDOCS Executive Director, at email@example.com
- Art meets Tech roundtable... Thursday 21st August 2014 5:30pm
- Afroes Game Design Challenge... Thursday 21st August 2014 9:00am
- FIRESIDE CHAT: RENAUD VISAGE (EVENTBRITE FOUNDER)... Monday 11th August 2014 5:00pm
- Google #40 Forward iHub Forum... Friday 8th August 2014 5:30pm