Health Information Systems Specialist1
- Company: Deloitte
- Deadline: Sunday 15th May 2011
- Location: Nairobi
The Health Information Systems Specialist (HIS Specialist), based in Nairobi, Kenya, will provide the technical leadership to the development of a national health information system. Her/his primary responsibilities are aimed at providing technical input and oversight to the development, integration, and use of a national health management information system for Kenya. The HIS Specialist will report to the Chief of Party and work closely with project team and the home office Program Manager.
Program Management Duties
- Provide management and oversight to HIS development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Ensure a high level of communication and close working relationships with the Government of Kenya, USAID, Deloitte home office, and other health donors
- Track and report on system development progress to USAID, Deloitte home office, and other stakeholders as required.
- Contribute to annual work plans, progress reports, and other deliverables to USAID as required.
- Complete other tasks as assigned
Technical Leadership Duties
- Provide HMIS technical leadership and assistance in system requirements, analysis, design, specifications, enterprise architecture development, piloting/testing, implementation and evaluation
- Provide technical expertise in capacity building plan and knowledge management materials
- Work with Ministry of Medical Services and Ministry of Public Health to assess capacity of hospitals, clinics, and other service points
- Work with Ministry of Medical Services and Ministry of Public Health to implement and roll out national HIS
- Support the development of technical documents, abstracts, presentations, and other reports documenting the achievements, lessons learned, and other findings related to the project
- Work with the project’s implementation partners and nation staff to define the scope of the HMIS deployment, including a roll-out project plan, ICT hardware and software requirements, and other elements including connectivity, client systems, and servers.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the HMIS implementation project. Work with local ICT staff to define roles and responsibilities, milestones, and client contacts.
- Define a technical skills capacity building approach for local ICT practitioners responsible for the HMIS deployment. Work to train local ICT staff on key skills, including the systems implementation lifecycle, managing system feature and bug requests, user acceptance testing, and overall quality assurance of the implemented HMIS
- Working with the project COP, define the project’s technical approach, including the build or buy decision, core software platforms and frameworks to be used, the approach to data collection and paper-records conversion.
- Use prior experience in health informatics, data warehousing, clinical systems, and health records management to inform the team’s approach. Work to help make sound, well-informed technical decisions that suit the constraints of the environment.
- Represent project to USAID and stakeholders as required, with support and coordination of the COP.
- Support the COP to coordinate and network effectively with USAID, the local government, partners and other stakeholders regarding project planning, monitoring, execution and deliverables.
- Support the dissemination of reports, success stories, lessons learned, and other technical documents produced by the project, particularly through Technical Working Groups and other technically focused meetings.
- Represent Deloitte and ENCAP as necessary, in coordination with the COP, in external and internal forums, special events and meetings related to the project.
HR and Staff Supervision Responsibilities
- Complete personnel time and expense reports accurately and timely
- Support the professional development of project staff , particularly around capacity building methods and tools and monitoring and evaluation
- This position has no sole supervisory responsibilities. However, it is expected that the OD Advisor will contribute to the oversight and evaluation of Regional Coordinators’ performance, as related to their implementation of capacity building events.
- University degree in health informatics, computer science or public health
- 10 years professional experience working in health information systems (health information strategy and policy, database management, systems development). Developing country experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of health information systems design, development, roll-out, and/or use (e.g. HMIS, DHIS, EMR)
- Demonstrated experience in organizational capacity building and/or training
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with government and non-governmental entities
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English required
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines with quality products
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
How to apply
If interested, please submit resume and cover letter to EmergingMarketsGH@deloitte.com. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Wireless Wednesday - How to use mobile technology to improve education outcomes... Wednesday 6th August 2014 12:00pm
- The Kenya Lean Series... Tuesday 29th July 2014 5:30pm
- Tech Meets Conservation 07... Thursday 31st July 2014 6:30pm
- AMI Self Management Training... Saturday 12th July 2014 9:00am