- Company: Worldreader.org
- Deadline: Tuesday 18th December 2012
- Location: Kisumu and Nairobi
Worldreader, an exciting US- and Barcelona-based social enterprise whose mission is to make digital books available to all in the developing world using mobile and e-reader technology, is looking for an Operations Assistant for Worldreader Kenya.
This position will assist the Operations Manager in a project designed to assess the effectiveness of introducing ICT models in a pedagogical context. Concretely Worldreader Kenya will help to understand if e-readers improve student performance, how cost effective is an e-reader intervention and how does the e-reader program change learning to improve achievement. Worldreader will provide students (and teachers) with e-readers pre-loaded with e-books from a growing list of early grade reading materials in Kiswahili and English.
This is a 9-month contract based in Kisumu starting Jan 2013. Successful performance will lead to a permanent job offer based in Nairobi.
The Operations Assistant, based in Kisumu, Kenya, reports to the Operations Manager and is expected to assist the Operations Manager in carrying out the following responsibilities:
- Execute large scale content downloads on e-readers
- Conduct technical teacher training on e-reader usage
- Conduct school visits to assess e-readers usage
- Assist with e-reader inventory management across a number of schools, including collecting and replacing problem devices and keeping records of devices
- Assist with logistics management for community outreach events
- Occasionally, handle imports logistics/customs clearance
Desired Skills & Experience
We are looking for a professional with technical skills. The ideal candidate possesses the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field with at least one year of experience in a relevant discipline
- Computer literacy: solid knowledge of software, hardware, and computer networks; proficient in Word, Excel, and productivity/communication tools
- Detail-oriented. Structured and organized thinker and communicator
- Experience as an IT professional highly desirable
- Great verbal and written communications skills
- Bilingual: English and Kiswahili; other East African languages a plus
- Demonstrable passion for education and the mission of Worldreader
How to apply
To apply - please send your resume and a cover letter explaining what you think Worldreader is about and why you would like to become the Worldreader Kenya Operations Assistant. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The first application round closes on December 3rd. However applicants are encouraged to submit their applications after that date, as there may be additional application rounds.
- NRBUZZ: Using M-Health services to support home-based health care... Thursday 18th September 2014 5:30pm
- INTEL-SPONSORED GAME DEVELOPER MEETUP... Saturday 6th September 2014 10:00am
- PHP User Group... Tuesday 2nd September 2014 5:30pm
- HOW DO YOU DEVELOP YOUR SOFTWARE... Wednesday 3rd September 2014 6:00pm