Country Director - First Access Tanzania1
- Company: First Access
- Deadline: Wednesday 18th July 2012
- Location: Dar es Salaam
JOB DESCRIPTION: COUNTRY DIRECTOR
JOB TITLE: Country Director, FirstAccess Tanzania Limited
REPORTS TO: Co-Founder & CEO, First Access LLC DATE: 4, July 2012
This position is for Country Director of FirstAccess Tanzania, Limited. The Country Director reports directly to the Co-Founder & CEO of First Access, LLC, Nicole Stubbs. The Country Director is responsible for the direction, coordination and overall management of the FirstAccess Tanzania office. The Country Director must identify, plan and implement strategic objectives for FirstAccess Tanzania, primarily through client and supplier interactions. The Country Director is responsible for handling all local client and supplier partnerships, negotiations, internal and external communications, business development, strategic growth, legal requirements, office operation and administration.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the efforts, management, implementation and ongoing operations of all aspects of FirstAccess Tanzania
- Liaise with mobile network operators (suppliers) and microfinance institutions (clients) on a continual basis, ensuring strong working relationships
- Negotiate terms of partnerships, troubleshooting and redefining the terms of each partnership on an as-needed basis
- Conduct business development efforts within Tanzania and East Africa (Kenya and Uganda) to grow and expand the First Access model and product
- Communicate effectively and constantly with all staff, including Co-Founder & CEO and any other staff located internationally
- Manage all financial and accounting aspects of FirstAccess Tanzania, including maintaining Excel spreadsheets of daily expenses and utilizing cloud-based tools like Wave Accounting or Quick Books to track costs
- Manage and pay for daily expenses; maintain signatory responsibilities on local Tanzanian bank account
- Provide financial projections for office expenses, analyzing spending and revenue trends
- Maintain current working knowledge of Tanzanian tax requirements to ensure the company’s compliance
- Develop, implement and conduct training programs to ensure the MFI clients and their relevant employees (such as loan officers and members of credit committees) understand and use the First Access product
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory and legal requirements in Tanzania
- Conduct strong communication efforts in order to ensure ongoing, positive upward and downward communications throughout the (relatively flat) hierarchy of the organization
- Manage the human resources of the organization in an effective manner, institutionalizing positive human resources procedures and policies, thus assisting in the prevention of litigation or costly labor relation problems.
- Delegate responsibility to appropriate staff members to ensure that the day-to-day functions are carried out. Personally contact the Co-Founder & CEO as needed before problems arise and escalate
- Provide guidance, training, direction and expertise to any employees and interns
- Responsible for encouraging the professional growth of the staff
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree from accredited university in Business, Economics, Finance, or a related field; US or EU educated preferred.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of five (5) years of successful experience in developing, implementing and managing programs in the private sector and/or with start-ups; strong familiarity with finance and banking, accounting, legal regulations and legalese, economics, SME financing and development, microfinance, mobile technologies, entrepreneurship, business incubators, social enterprises; strong operations, accounting, business development and office management experience. Transferable skills in a fast-paced office setting are also desirable.
- Passion, motivation, and a genuine interest in First Access, our mission, objectives, methodology and product
- Highly personable and charismatic, able to interact with various clients and partners at any given time; able to construct and maintain strong working relationships and navigate situations to negotiate successful solutions
- High proficiency in the microfinance and mobile technologies industries; knowledge of key players, companies, and individuals is preferred
- Strong leadership, management and organizational skills, as well as understanding of multi-disciplinary approaches to managing situations
- An ability to integrate and harmonize diversified functions, including the administrative functions as needed
- Effective consultative skills as well as executive and managerial skills
- Understanding, influencing and working well with others are important attributes
- The ability to select, develop and motivate people and create a positive work environment
- The ability to resolve problems quickly and effectively, and determining appropriate courses of action using sound judgment for the company
- Must display a high degree of emotional maturity while keeping difficult situations in proper perspective. Must be flexible and have well-developed interpersonal skills. Must excel in personal interactions with clients, partners, and employees at all levels
- Must have strong finance, accounting, economics, legalese, and management skills
- Must have speaking, writing and reading fluency in both English and Swahili
- Must be a citizen of the United Republic of Tanzania; Kenyan or Ugandan citizens will also be considered
- Must have working knowledge or experience working in similar industries within East Africa
DESIRED TECHNOLOGY SKILLS:
Must have high proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint), the Internet, and know or be able to learn other software platforms such as Skype, Apple Keynote, Wave Accounting, Producteev task manager, and Salesforce Contact Manager, amongst others. The Country Director should also know how to use other office machines such as a printer, copier, fax, calculator, and telephone.
The Country Director will potentially supervise one (1) administrative assistant and one (1) intern; to be determined as needs arise.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Requires sitting, standing, bending and reaching. May require lifting up to fifty (50) pounds on occasion. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office machines such as computers, fax machines, calculators, the telephone and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and vision. Requires the ability to travel easily, both locally and internationally in vehicles such as cars, trains, buses, and airplanes. Our office is on the fourth floor in a building with no elevator, so the candidate must be able to walk up the stairs.
TYPICAL MENTAL DEMANDS:
Must be able to analyze many variables and factors and choose the most effective course of action for the organization at any given point in time. Must handle novel and diverse work problems simultaneously on a daily basis. Personal maturity, ambition, motivation, independence and drive are important attributes. Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. Must have a long attention span in order to listen to people, perceive the real problems and bring issues to a successful conclusion. Must relate and interact with people at all levels at First Access.
The Country Director will primarily work out of FirstAccess Tanzania’s office space in Kijitonyama, Dar es Salaam, Mondays through Fridays from approximately 9:00 a.m. to 18:30 p.m. The Country Director will also be required to travel to and from meetings around Dar es Salaam as needed. Occasionally, the Country Director will be required to travel outside of Dar es Salaam to other cities in Tanzania and other locations in East Africa, including but not limited to Arusha, Kenya and Uganda. These travel costs will be at the expense of First Access. Due to the international nature of First Access, the Country Director will also, as needed, be called upon to work overtime or odd schedules to facilitate smooth communication with the Co-Founder & CEO and any other staff based in the U.S. or elsewhere.
SALARY AND BENEFITS PACKAGE
The Country Director will be offered a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This salary will be inclusive of all benefits, including health care and pension plan. First Access will also cover the Country Director’s work-related travel costs and mobile phone costs.
How to apply
Please send resumes and cover letters, addressed to Nicole Stubbs, to Nicole@first-access.org by July 18, 2012. Resumes received earlier will be greatly appreciated. First-round interviews will take place between July 23rd and 25th.
- Art meets Tech roundtable... Thursday 21st August 2014 5:30pm
- Afroes Game Design Challenge... Thursday 21st August 2014 9:00am
- FIRESIDE CHAT: RENAUD VISAGE (EVENTBRITE FOUNDER)... Monday 11th August 2014 5:00pm
- Google #40 Forward iHub Forum... Friday 8th August 2014 5:30pm