Director of Strategic Information1
- Company: MDH and Harvard School of Public Health, Tanzania
- Deadline: Tuesday 30th November 2010
- Location: Dar-es-Salaam
Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) has a long-standing collaboration with a number of medical and public health academic institutions in East Africa. Over the past 20 years, HSPH conducted several large clinical trials on infectious diseases, maternal and child health, and nutrition. HSPH’s PEPFAR program has assisted local institutions in Tanzania to develop an effective program for the treatment of patients with HIV/AIDS. The Harvard Tanzania PEPFAR program supports provision of HIV/AIDS care and treatment services for more than 90,000 patients at forty-nine sites within the Dar-es-Salaam Region.
Oversee, supervise and monitor the designing, implementation, and maintenance of large scale data center (DC) and data base management system (DBMS) concerning health related patient and operational data in Tanzania. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing and overseeing supervision for a Senior Data Operations Manager with approximately 100 DC staff including mid-level data supervisors and data management and entry personnel at both a central site in Dar es Salaam, and up to 50 remote sites primarily in Dar es Salaam and possibly elsewhere in Tanzania. Moreover, the position holder will oversee and supervise the Training Manager, Quality Improvement Manager and the IT managers. In support of these goals, s/he will be responsible for coordinating up-to-date documentation, soliciting user trainings and certifications for DC management and a supported DBMS system. Planning and management responsibilities will include development of budgets, resource needs and oversee the successful HR functions. The SI Director reports to the Chief Executive Officer of MDH.
Examples of specific tasks:
- Actively promote an environment of excellence, learning and positive feedback
- Design and implement regular (i.e. weekly) audits and performance assessments of associated staff of the DBMS and other Units under the SI Section, including written and practice certifications to assess staff capabilities and performance
- Oversee the development, drafting, updating and implementation of operations manuals including detailed daily work tasks for mid-level managers and other staff under the SI section. .
- Oversee the development, drafting, updating and implementation of training manuals and schedule regular trainings for SI units based on documented needs to improve performance.
- Assist the HR Manager in creating and implementing novel recruitment procedures that effectively identify, develop, and retain top level Tanzanian professionals in SI abilities.
- Work with users to determine and develop specifications for data entry and checking applications, including algorithms to maintain a high level of data accuracy, internal consistency, and integrity based on accepted international standards.
- Ensure data and system security in compliance with standards of confidentiality and archiving.
- Assist end users and other data unit members in obtaining secure and reliable remote access to DBMS and data based implementation of hierarchical rule structures.
- Monitor resource use/burden to troubleshoot bottlenecks in performance of DBMS to ensure efficient operation.
- Develop and supervise personnel in custom application development of DBMS applications as needed.
- If a foreigner is hired, experience in the transfer of technical skills so that a local Director can be groomed and take over within two years of hire and maintain the same level of quality and efficiency in the work environment
- Demonstrated management capabilities in low-income settings with supervision of at least 25 persons resulting in documented outputs that meet or exceed international standards, for at least three years.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team of professionals in data management, information systems and operations research and establish effective communication and management processes, both orally and in writing, with internal and external staff and users.
- Master’s Degree from a university/college or equivalent formal training institution in epidemiology and/or biostatistics, a formal training program management is a plus.
- Three years hands-on experience in managing a large scale and high volume DBMS system.
- Significant documented experience in conducting basic and operational research through publications in international peer reviewed journals
- Professional certification as a data systems engineer from a recognized accrediting association or vendor with focus on implementation and management of client-server DBMS and associated op
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter including when they may be available to take the position, a copy of their CV, and names and contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) of three references. Applications should be submitted by November 30, 2010 to: Ben HsuBorger (email@example.com)
- Forum - The intersection between mobile and big data... Wednesday 27th August 2014 5:30pm
- NRBUZZ: DRONES FOR AGRICULTURAL MONITORING IN KENYA... Sunday 24th August 2014 5:30pm
- Tech Meets Conservation 08... Thursday 28th August 2014 6:00pm
- Art meets Tech roundtable... Thursday 21st August 2014 5:30pm