Software Engineer - Android1
- Company: Bridge International Academies
- Deadline: Sunday 1st May 2011
- Location: Nairobi
About this position
Bridge International Academies is a startup revolutionizing education across Africa with a truly unique business model. The company has launched a large-scale franchise-like network of ultra low-cost for-profit private primary schools across Africa. Our schools profitably deliver high-quality education for less than $4 per child per month, enabling local school managers to operate their school businesses profitably, while creating a highly successful business at the central level. We now have 22 schools in Kenya, and plan to rapidly scale the company to serve more than 1 million students.
We have and are continuing to develop one of the most sophisticated operational approaches to providing affordable education to MILLIONS of children in one of the most challenging environments in the world! Our success relies on our “School in a Box”, a sophisticated set of custom developed systems, tools and processes (think McDonalds or Starbucks) that are used by all School Managers, as well as by support teams at Headquarters to audit, monitor and support all of our schools. While the end-user (School Manager) technology at the school is limited to paper and a mobile phone, all of our systems and processes are underpinned by a sophisticated set of supporting and enabling technologies that allows schools to operate cost effectively and efficiently, with oversight by headquarters.
We are looking for a full time Software Engineer-Android to design and develop Android applications for tablets/smartphones to allow remote users to access our databases and back-end systems. Specific responsibilities include:
- Software design, implementation and debugging
- Testing and user support
- Working with end users to fine tune software to best take advantage of hardware features
- Evaluation and recommendations of appropriate hardware platforms
- You have BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- You have a minimum of 1 year of experience developing software for Android and can demonstrate applications that you have built
- You have a minimum of 2 years of experience with Java programming
- You have experience writing mobile applications that interact with remote databases over the internet
- You work well as part of a team and like to both teach and learn from others
- You are familiar with professional software development practices such as source code control, defect tracking, unit testing and code reviews
- You love to write code and solve challenging problems
- You function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high
- Experience with C#, MS SQL Server, PHP, MySQL or SugarCRM is a plus.
The job is based in our headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
Examples of our Software Needs
The following are examples some of the software projects that are currently under development or consideration:
How to apply
Please visit: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?bj=owssVfw5&s=iHub
- NRBUZZ: Using M-Health services to support home-based health care... Thursday 18th September 2014 5:30pm
- INTEL-SPONSORED GAME DEVELOPER MEETUP... Saturday 6th September 2014 10:00am
- PHP User Group... Tuesday 2nd September 2014 5:30pm
- HOW DO YOU DEVELOP YOUR SOFTWARE... Wednesday 3rd September 2014 6:00pm