- Company: Jacaranda Health
- Deadline: Thursday 15th March 2012
- Location: Nairobi
Jacaranda Health is a social enterprise that aims to set a new standard for maternity care in East Africa. Our goal is to create a chain of clinics providing high quality, affordable, respectful reproductive health services to poor urban women. Jacaranda aims to become the largest provider of affordable maternal healthcare in the region, and also to serve as a global “innovation laboratory” for new approaches to improve maternal health – from outreach and marketing, to low-cost mobile technologies. For more detail about our approach, visit jacarandahealth.org.
We are piloting the model in Nairobi. We have launched our first mobile clinic providing antenatal and postnatal care, and are preparing to launch a fixed clinic for deliveries and basic emergency obstetric care. We are aiming to grow aggressively over the next few years and are putting together a world-class team to help us change the maternal health landscape. We have already built an excellent team, strong partnerships, and significant interest from the global maternal health community.
Jacaranda Health is seeking a Technology Lead to help us become a global pioneer in technology-supported health delivery. We rely on IT to communicate with the women we serve, support our clinicians, and understand our social impact. We want to assemble a portfolio of technologies (including mobile apps, medical record systems, and decision support tools) by using open source software, working with technology partners and consultants, and where necessary developing in-house solutions. There is an immense appetite in the global health community to demonstrate successful implementation of health IT tools in a clinical setting, so this work could be globally important.
The Technology Lead will manage a diverse portfolio of special projects and work with our clinical team integrate them into our maternity services. A few of our priority objectives include:
- Setting up a flexible, low-cost electronic medical record system that supports patient input via android tablets,
- Using mobile phones for SMS-based outreach to patients,
- Using mobile banking to help women save for healthcare expenses
- Manage integration of IT with clinical systems like inventory management, emergency transport, etc.
We have taken the first steps toward building some of these systems but we need someone who can help us create a set of systems that will inspire the global health community.
We invite all strong candidates: professional developers, clinicians with an interest in IT, generalists with strong tech management experience. Depending on the candidate’s experience, availability, and interests, we will consider flexible arrangements, such a fellowship position or a shorter term commitment. Depending on the candidate, we may adjust the responsibilities more toward strategic project management or more toward technical development.
- Help direct a technology strategy for Jacaranda
- Manage a portfolio of innovative projects described above
- Develop and customize software solutions
- Help recruit and coordinate consultants, developers, and volunteer experts to build products and solutions that make sense to outsource
- Keep abreast of the newest advances and opportunities in technology for health service delivery
- Become the voice for Jacaranda’s technology innovations through external audiences, among technical circles, and at conferences
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Excellent project management experience
- Strong communication skills: English fluency, ability to explain technologies to external audiences.
- Highly organized: able to determine priorities and juggle multiple deadlines
- Experience desired:
- programming skills – Java, OOP, Android
- healthcare service delivery, and preferably healthcare technologies
- working in a fast-paced, low-resource environment
- Able to work well both within a team and independently, in a challenging and fast-moving multicultural environment
- Enthusiasm, altruism, and a commitment to providing high-quality care to low-income women.
- Significant responsibility leading our technology strategy
- Exposure to all facets of building a innovative maternal health organization: clinical services, business operations, and marketing
- Opportunity to work with an international cross-disciplinary team, and interact with a network of experienced advisors in Kenya and globally.
- We are still a small organization, so there is the opportunity to play a role in strategic discussions about expansion and innovations.
- Full-time position, based in Nairobi
- Start date: As soon as possible.
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply by email with an up to date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15th, 2012. Please put "Technology Lead" in the subject line.
- INTEL SHARK TANK... Wednesday 11th December 2013 5:00pm
- MARKETING AND PR WITH PATRICIA MBATIA... Monday 2nd December 2013 3:00pm
- AIRTEL MONEY DEVELOPER SESSION... Wednesday 4th December 2013 1:30pm