- Company: Dreamfish
- Deadline: Wednesday 30th November 2011
- Location: Nairobi
Dreamfish is the first peer-to-peer global work cooperative, co-owned by individuals with micro-enterprises from many walks of life in 24 countries. Dreamfish meets the basic human need for individuals to come together across boundaries of race, wealth and geography to create opportunities to develop as humans and entrepreneurs. While discourses about poverty are invested in institutional solutions rather than human solutions, micro-entrepreneur youth and women struggle to access a market, overcome cultural blocks, recover from mistakes due to working in isolation, and develop effective behaviors. These barriers to success are human and social.
Dreamfish can make the difference between failure and resilience with support to help move from isolation to networked, from apathy to agency, from self-defeat to effective choices. As each person gains income from projects with other Dreamfish members, member-owners invest 10% back in the cooperative and then share the profits and growth. Dreamfish partners include Stanford University, Fielding Graduate University, Nairobits School of Design, Craigslist Foundation, Poptech!, Institute for Sustainable Development.
How we work together
We are a small team of volunteers, working distributed from East and West Africa, San Francisco Bay Area and Midwest U.S. We put people first and are professional. We bring our humanity to work and play.
Project timeline: December, 2011 - February, 2011
Location: anywhere with good network connection
The Dreamfish mission is to connect any person from a rural village to an urban street to develop a thriving livelihood through an empowering mobile/web work community. Share what you're working on, ask for help, hire and be hired, and celebrate your growth with like-minded people.
Project description: Looking for a CSS developer who loves to do Wordpress theming and share knowledge of CSS skills virtually with youth in Nairobi as you go. Learn more about the big picture here: http://vonemmel.com/2011/09/community-tech-project-update/
- Wordpress theming experience
- Git user
- Show beautiful quality of work
- Can jump in, learn and adapt quickly
- Connect easily with people
- Both team player and self-directed
- Experience with open source community or working in online collaborative environment
- Experience with theming other social software is a plus
Why do this?
- Change lives. Make tools that empower disadvantaged entrepreneurs everywhere to grow and develop
- Mentor youth developers in Nairobi
- Belong to a team of like-minded people
Get and Go!
We would want for you to jump in and start immediately on a project.
Most convenient if you live either in San Francisco Bay Area or in Nairobi, or have distributed team experience.
How to apply
Contact Tiffany von Emmel and Grant Bowman, project co-leads
Send a letter and links to previous projects to vonemmel [at] dreamfish [dot] com and grantbow [at] dreamfish [dot] com
You can meet us in freenode irc #dreamfish - http://webchat.freenode.net/
- Forum - The intersection between mobile and big data... Wednesday 27th August 2014 5:30pm
- NRBUZZ: DRONES FOR AGRICULTURAL MONITORING IN KENYA... Sunday 24th August 2014 5:30pm
- Tech Meets Conservation 08... Thursday 28th August 2014 6:00pm
- Art meets Tech roundtable... Thursday 21st August 2014 5:30pm