Information Technology Officer1
- Company: Innovations for Poverty Action
- Deadline: Saturday 15th October 2011
- Location: Busia
Innovations for Poverty Action seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Information Technology (IT) Coordinator/Associate for the Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Nutrition Benefits Project in Kenya. IPA’s WASH Benefits Project is a five year study to evaluate the health benefits of sanitation, hygiene, household water treatment and nutrition using a large-scale, randomized evaluation that will take place in Western Province, Kenya. Initially, the position will be based in Busia, Kenya but will require relocation within Western region by January 2012. The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. This position is located in Kenya, and the principal investigators are Michael Kremer and Clair Null.
The IT Coordinator/Associate work closely with academic researchers and other field staff to perform a variety tasks including, but not limited to: hardware and software support for digital data collection in the field, database architecture and maintenance, and SMS communication and surveying with study promoters and participants. The IT PA/PC may also periodically work or coordinate with the IPA-Kenya headquarters’ Internet Technology and Data personnel.
TASKS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Digital Data Collection
- Research and provide input on hardware and software options for digital data collection
- Contribute to survey programming, testing, and debugging
- Format and/or create hard disk image for hardware devices to maximize survey capabilities and efficiency
- Assist in development of manual and trainings for proper hardware usage and maintenance
- Organize and streamline the process of retrieving data from collection devices and storing in a secure database
- Provide technical support and troubleshoot any hardware or software issues arising in the course of digital data collection
- Set up and maintain an organized, efficient, and secure database for all pilot and project data
- Ensure proper encryption and storage procedures are followed with regard to all personal identifying data
- Help coordinate consistent database design, maintenance, and access issues with project collaborators in the United States and Bangladesh
SMS Communication System
- Work with WASH management team to establish a reliable system for SMS communication with community promoters and respondents
- If possible, configure SMS communication system to generate automatic replies to and extract data from incoming messages
- Provide general technical support and troubleshooting assistance for the WASH management team
- Participate and provide input at regular team meetings
- Complete all duties in a timely manner with the utmost integrity
- Coordinate with IPAK Information Technology and Data personnel in the headquarters on IPAK guidelines and procedures that may relate to WASH Benefits IT systems and inform IPAK as needed about new IT activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- 1-2 years prior experience in an IT-related position, experience with responsibilities above strongly preferred
- Programming experience, especially SQL and/or Python
- Wide knowledge of common hardware and software platforms, including mobile platforms (Android, iOS) and open-source platforms (Apache, GNU/Linux)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Well organized, detail-oriented, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Experience with data management (i.e. MySQL) and quality control strongly preferred.
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus.
- Kiswahili language skills.
- Knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science strongly preferred.
How to apply
Applicants can mail all required documents to PO Box 373, Busia, 50400 Kenya or Send an email to, email@example.com , or following these instructions exactly:
- In the subject line: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name, including this title, “PA/PC Position – WASH Benefits Project” after your names.
- Attachments: Please attach your CV, cover letter, and a list of 3 references.
- In the email body: Copy exactly the following position line: 100455IPA/Kenya, IT Project Associate or Project Coordinator, WASH Benefits Project.
Please do not include any text besides the position line(s) in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
Please visit http://www.poverty-action.org/getinvolved/jobs/Africa/IPAKenya100455 for the online listing.
- PHP User Group... Tuesday 5th August 2014 5:30pm
- Wireless Wednesday - How to use mobile technology to improve education outcomes... Wednesday 6th August 2014 12:00pm
- The Kenya Lean Series... Tuesday 29th July 2014 5:30pm
- Tech Meets Conservation 07... Thursday 31st July 2014 6:30pm