- Company: Grameen Foundation
- Deadline: Friday 30th September 2011
- Location: Kampala
Mobile Social Incubator (MSI) project
Status: Full time project contractor (18 months)
The Incubator Manager (IM) is responsible for managing the Mobile Social Incubator (MSI) website. The site will pull information from various industry sources on a daily basis and ensure such content is uploaded to the site. The IM will also work with the project team to ensure that all members are populating the site on a frequent basis with project updates.
The Mobile Social Incubator will combine a virtual collaboration space (a website) with a physical one (our AppLab in Uganda) to promote innovation with mobile phones to benefit the poor. This takes our initial AppLab concept and goes one big step beyond, providing an open innovation platform for idea generation, catalytic funding for innovative ideas and a means to field test and develop promising opportunities.
While the concept is domain-independent, in the first stage of our efforts we will limit the scope to mobile financial services. Together with CGAP and MTN we will soon be launching a Mobile Financial Services Incubator in Uganda. This effort aims to extend the benefits of mobile money to the poor through innovation in product design, new ways of thinking about agent networks and modifications to the way services are delivered (e.g., by creating intuitive, numbers based User Interfaces for people with good numeracy but low literacy).
The Mobile Social Incubator will serve as a vehicle to crowd source a range of ideas to explore, provide a forum for collaboration to improve concepts and a means to communicate results and learning. We will couple it with our proven testing and rapid iteration approaches in Uganda, prototype concepts and identify solutions with potential to achieve impact at scale. The power of the model comes from this unique combination of a virtual collaboration space and a well-established physical one. Further, it lends itself to a “crowdfunding” model for innovative ideas by using a model similar to kickstarter (see below), where entrepreneurs put together a budget and source funding from the international community to develop their ideas further.
Reporting and relationships
The position will report directly to the Project Director.
The IM will be expected to work a typical work week of 37.5 hours plus additional hours to get the job done. The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require travel (5%-10%) within Uganda.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop a strategy for MSI growth and sustainability
- Develop a business model for the MSI to ensure long-term sustainability
- Work out a communications plan that results in the engagement of the ICTD community
- Engage in community outreach activities across East Africa to engage local developers
- Look for donor funding to scale-up the MSI when needed
- Work with the project team to develop a structure for the MSI
- Work with tech team to ensure that site is operating at all times
- Scan the market daily for interesting information items that can be included in the MSI
- Monitor content that is uploaded to the MSI by visitors
- Make suggestions for how the site can be improved
- Update functionality of the site at various stages
- Liaison with site visitors to ensure that questions are answered
- Handle requests from site visitors for funding and mentorship
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5 + years business development experience with start-up organizations or incubators
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Experience working in developing countries
- Experience in content development and research
- Experience with business modeling
- Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of poor people –with practical experience
- Strong writing skills
- Strong interest in mobile money
- Understanding of technology, particularly mobile money applications
- At least undergraduate degree but masters’ preferred
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply by email to Dr. Olga Morawczynski (email@example.com). Please put “MFSI - IM” in the subject line. No calls please.
- CryptoParty... Tuesday 15th April 2014 4:00pm
- QUALITY ASSURANCE TRAINING WITH OLIVER SZIMMETAT, MICROSOFT... Thursday 10th April 2014 10:00am
- NRBUZZ: WHAT ROLE DOES RESEARCH PLAY IN EDTECH?... Thursday 10th April 2014 5:30pm
- AFFORDABLE MANAGEMENT TRAINING WITH AFRICAN MANAGEMENT INITIATIVE... Tuesday 8th April 2014 9:00am