- Company: Grameen Foundation
- Deadline: Friday 30th September 2011
- Location: Kampala
Mobile Financial Services Incubator project
Status: Full time project employee (16 months)
The Application Analyst/ Developer (AA/D) work with software development teams to analyze product requirements, and define product architecture and implementation roadmaps.
Reporting and relationships
The position will report to the MFSI Project Director. The AA/D will directly supervise staff and contractors.
The Applications Analyst/ Developer will be expected to work a typical work week of 37.5 hours plus additional hours to get the job done. The position will be based in Kampala, Uganda. This position will need to be flexible to work in local conditions, and be available to work across different time zones. This position will require infrequent travel (10%-20%) within Uganda, and periodic travel to other countries as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with Mobile Money Design and Application Expert to analyze product requirements, and define product architecture and implementation roadmaps.
- Interpret specifications and designs as provided, translating them into high quality and documented programs/applications
- Design and develop middleware and mobile applications that extend the existing capabilities of MTN’s MM platform go beyond payments on MTN MM platform, and leverage existing financial networks, focusing on financial inclusion at the BOP
- Adopt recommended development processes, best practice methods, tools and coding guidelines
- Write test plans and execute unit, assembly, application, and integration testing to certify applications with mobile operators and financial institutions.
- Successfully communicate with the rest of the development team throughout the development process, participate in brain storming sessions on design and implementation specifications, aid in code reviews, and incorporate feedback from code reviews into their own code
- Offer input in planning, brainstorming, specification and resource estimation processes prior to development
- Aid in testing, deployment and technical support of developed systems and applications
- Be aware of current trends and techniques in the chosen tools, platforms and technologies
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Experience working in developing countries
- Hands on development experience in mobile and sim toolkit application development
- Knowledge of Java, C++ and multi-tier design
- Familiarity with system specification and design as well as various development processes and paradigms
- Familiarity with Test Driven Development
- Knowledge of Salesforce Apex Programming
- Programming in a team environment
- Source/code control using various SCM systems
- Object Oriented analysis and design, experience developing multi-threaded applications
- Understand what it takes to develop software for devices with much more limited resources than a typical desktop, and with high security requirements
- Belief in the potential to leverage information and communication technology (ICTs) for the benefit of poor people –with practical experience.
- Some knowledge of the mobile money space
- Fluent in oral and written English
Education and Experience
- At least bachelor’s degree in engineering, software development, computer science or related discipline
- At least five years working experience in an analyst/developer role
Physical and Environmental Conditions
This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply by email to Dr. Olga Morawczynski (email@example.com). Please put “MFSI – AA/Dft” in the subject line. No calls please.
- DevOps Day Nairobi 2014... Sunday 9th March 2014 10:10pm
- NAIROBIJS MARCH MEETUP – PLAYING WITH ANGULARJS... Sunday 9th March 2014 10:10pm
- INTEL – GOOGLE DEVELOPER GROUP MEETUP... Sunday 9th March 2014 10:10pm
- BLACKBERRY FEBRUARY MEETUP... Sunday 9th March 2014 10:10pm