Communications and Public Affairs Associate - Lagos1
- Company: Google
- Deadline: Sunday 30th January 2011
- Location: Lagos
It's our job to help inform and educate consumers, partners and opinion formers about the benefits of Google's products, our distinctive business ethos and approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines all at once, as well as enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!). Things happen quickly at Google and to get stuff done here you need to be a team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.
The role: Communications and Public Affairs Associate
As our Communications and Public Affairs Associate, you should ideally come from a PR background. The ability to communicate about Google and an interest in the local and international West African media are essential for this role. You will need to be able to work to tight deadlines and have the organisational skills to manage numerous projects at once. These projects will involve activities from preparing presentations and written materials that communicate key messages, to cultivating relationships with media outlets and coordinating with colleagues across the globe.
- Handle media inquiries from across the West African region (Nigeria, Ghana and Senegal) as well as monitor media activities and manage our local PR agencies.
- Organise press briefings, media sessions, and events.
- Brief Google spokespeople about issues at hand and work closely with internal cross-functional teams
- Contact the media with ideas and be comfortable pitching stories.
- Produce briefing documents.
- BA/BS degree preferred with a strong academic record.
- Professional experience in PR and/or journalism experience with a good knowledge of local media and challenges therein; experience in a fast-paced business or non-profit environment also valuable.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in high-stress environments.
- Expert communication skills– verbal and written.
- Fluent in English and proficient in French, both verbal and written
- Ability to think, plan, and execute resourcefully.
How to apply
- Wireless Wednesday... Wednesday 30th July 2014 12:00pm
- The OLX Experience... Friday 25th July 2014 6:00pm
- Wireless Wednesday - Opportunities and Challenges for Adoption of mHealth Solutions in Kenya... Wednesday 23rd July 2014 12:00pm
- #FailFaire Nairobi - Mishaps. Mistakes. Migraines... Thursday 17th July 2014 7:00pm