Assistant GIS Analyst1
- Company: TakaTaka Solutions
- Deadline: Sunday 18th September 2011
- Location: Nairobi
TakaTaka Solutions is a Nairobi-based social enterprise providing affordable and environmentally friendly waste management services. TakaTaka Solutions recycles and composts 80% of waste. TakaTaka Solutions is a global pioneer in serving both higher and lower income areas. In lower income areas, TakaTaka Solutions partners with youth groups in an innovative business model. This will make waste collection services affordable to all citizens, while at the same time creating employment and reducing poverty.
About this position
We are seeking a full-time Assistant GIS Analyst with strong skills on a practical level. The candidate will be a recent graduate from university or a technical institution.Reporting to the GIS Analyst, he/she will be involved in the acquisition and systematization of relevant data for the expansion of the company. TakaTaka Solutions will heavily rely on data for client acquisition, planning, monitoring and development of various projects. Relevant information include: waste generation rates, waste composition analyses, client and area mapping according to socio-economic and other factors, logistical planning and monitoring indicators.
The successful candidate will start working in October 2011. TakaTaka Solutions is offering a competitive salary with benefits. The candidate will have the opportunity to take over responsibility in a fast-growing company.
Areas of responsibility
- Carry out GIS data development tasks including data collection, processing and analysis to build GIS dataset and related relational databases.
- Assist in development of automated data analysis and monitoring systems, including remote-sensing
- Assist in giving recommendations on various issues pertaining to TakaTaka Solutions’ operations based on GIS data.
- Approach GIS mapping as an integral part of marketing and client acquisition
- University degree or recognised college diploma in one of the following areas: Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geo-informatics, Geomatics and Surveying or related subjects
- Minimum of Second class honours lower division or credit for diploma holders as well as very good project work
- Substantial experience in practical GIS mapping, including on-the-ground data collection.
- Demonstrated practical experience on the use of GIS and remote sensed data processing software e.g. Arc GIS suite or open source tools
- Excellent command of English language
Skills, competencies, attitude
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Business attitude
- Willingness to get ‘hands dirty’ in data collection
- Commitment to working in lower income areas
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Trustworthy and diligent
- Personal commitment to issues of environmental and social sustainability
- Interest to work in early-stage and fast growing environment
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply to: Jobs.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send CV and short covering letter explaining your interest in the position and experience in GIS mapping. Deadline for application is 18 September 2011. Only shorlisted candidates will be contacted.
- EXPERT TALK - IBM'S RESEARCH DR. KOMMIE WELDEMARIAM... Tuesday 11th March 2014 1:12am
- DevOps Day Nairobi 2014... Tuesday 11th March 2014 1:12am
- NAIROBIJS MARCH MEETUP – PLAYING WITH ANGULARJS... Tuesday 11th March 2014 1:12am
- INTEL – GOOGLE DEVELOPER GROUP MEETUP... Tuesday 11th March 2014 1:12am