- Company: TakaTaka Solutions
- Deadline: Sunday 18th September 2011
- Location: Nairobi
TakaTaka Solutions is a Nairobi-based social enterprise providing affordable and environmentally friendly waste management services. TakaTaka Solutions recycles and composts 80% of waste. TakaTaka Solutions is a global pioneer in serving both higher and lower income areas. In lower income areas, TakaTaka Solutions partners with youth groups in an innovative business model. This will make waste collection services affordable to all citizens, while at the same time creating employment and reducing poverty.
About this position
We are seeking a full-time GIS Analyst with strong skills both on a conceptual and practical level. Reporting to the CEO, he/she will be spear-heading the acquisition and systematization of relevant data for the expansion of the company. TakaTaka Solutions will heavily rely on data from client acquisition to planning, monitoring and development of various projects. Relevant information include: waste generation rates, waste composition analyses, client and area mapping according to socio-economic and other factors, logistical planning and monitoring indicators.
The person will start working in October 2011. TakaTaka Solutions is offering a competitive salary and additional benefits. The candidate will have the opportunity to take over significant responsibility in a fast-growing company.
Areas of responsibility
- Develop, document and implement appropriate operational and technical procedures for efficient GIS management (data entry, storage, retrieval and backup)
- Oversee GIS data development tasks including data collection, processing and analysis to build GIS dataset and related relational databases.
- Train, coach and monitor others to support data collection
- Develop and customize data analysis and monitoring systems, including remote-sensing
- Use collected data to give recommendations on various issues pertaining to TakaTaka Solutions’ operations
- Design GIS mapping as an integral part of marketing and client acquisition
- Advanced university degree in one of the following areas: Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geo-informatics, Geomatics, Surveying or Geography or other relevant area
- Strong grades (First class honours or Upper Second) and/or outstanding project work
- Substanial experience in practical GIS mapping, including on-the-ground data collection.
- At least 1 year of professional work experience in GIS related field.
- Demonstrated practical experience on the use of GIS and remote sensed data processing software e.g. Arc GIS suite or open source tools
- Excellent command of English language
Skills, competencies, attitude
- Strong team leadership,interpersonal and communication skills
- Business attitude
- Willingness to get ‘hands dirty’ in data collection
- Commitment to working in lower income areas
- Ability to work and think independently and under pressure
- Ability to conceptualise, implement and supervise GIS tools and strategies
- Personal commitment to issues of environmental and social sustainability
- Interest to work in early-stage and fast growing environment
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply to: Jobs.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send CV and short covering letter explaining your interest in the position and experience in GIS mapping. Deadline for application is 18 September 2011. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Forum - The intersection between mobile and big data... Wednesday 27th August 2014 5:30pm
- NRBUZZ: DRONES FOR AGRICULTURAL MONITORING IN KENYA... Sunday 24th August 2014 5:30pm
- Tech Meets Conservation 08... Thursday 28th August 2014 6:00pm
- Art meets Tech roundtable... Thursday 21st August 2014 5:30pm