Programmer / Database Administrator1
- Company: Finlays
- Deadline: Friday 19th August 2011
- Location: Nairobi
Finlays is a vertically integrated and geographically diversified agri-business that takes a leadership role in sustainability. The group has established itself as a reliable, responsible, innovative and sustainable producer with a deep knowledge and passion for its products. Sustainability is pivotal to the group’s success and it lies at the heart of what Finlays does and stands for. Finlays is Kenya’s largest agricultural export group employing over 22,000 people and annually exporting over 300 million stems of flowers, 7 million kilos of vegetables, 26 million kilos of black tea and 3 million kilos of tea extract.
The organisation is geographically located in Nairobi, Naivasha, Kericho, Mt. Kenya and Mombasa and works with 1,200 vegetable out growers and 10,000 tea out growers.
This position has the following key responsibilities:
- Maintaining databases including tuning database servers, performance monitoring while ensuring security, accurate and regular updates;
- Participation in the design and development of databases to meet existing and new user needs taking into account technological innovations;
- Facilitating the increasing demand for access to data – increasingly via the intranet and/or website;
- Devising, developing, implementing and on a regular basis testing disaster recovery and archiving procedures for databases;
- Supporting users of acquired or in-house developed applications and providing the required solution and resolving user needs and problems;
- Working closely with ICT project managers and other database programmers;
- Commissioning, installing and testing new applications;
- Writing and maintaining programming code and associated documentation;
- Analyzing client/server and micro-computer based software solutions compatibility with company requirements;
- Maintaining confidentiality with regard to the information being processed, stored or accessed;
- Documenting programming problems and resolutions for future reference.
We require a candidate with the following qualifications:
- Fully familiar with Microsoft technologies with special emphasis on Visual BASIC, .Net framework, ASP.net as front-end development tools and MS Access, MS SQL server 2000/2005/2008 as back-end databases and IIS;
- Proficiency in enterprise reporting tools e.g. Crystal Report, MS reporting;
- Basic knowledge of Active Directory, Windows 2003/2008 server and Windows XP & 7 desktop operating system, Exchange 2003 / 2010 mail server, and other applications relating to networking;
- MIS reporting skills;
- Competency in Epicor Scala financial accounting and/or Harvest IT ERP packages will be an added advantage
- An MCSD will be given preference
- Minimum base qualification required is Bachelors in IT/IS/Computer Science/Business Studies;
- A Minimum of at least three years similar experience with a reputable company.
How to apply
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV with a covering letter to the
Human Resources Director,
P.O. Box 10222, Nairobi 00400.
Email: email@example.com to reach not later than 19 August 2011.
Those applicants who will not have heard from us by 1 October 2011 should consider their applications unsuccessful.
- Art meets Tech roundtable... Thursday 21st August 2014 5:30pm
- Afroes Game Design Challenge... Thursday 21st August 2014 9:00am
- FIRESIDE CHAT: RENAUD VISAGE (EVENTBRITE FOUNDER)... Monday 11th August 2014 5:00pm
- Google #40 Forward iHub Forum... Friday 8th August 2014 5:30pm