Senior Software Developer2
- Company: Grameen Foundation
- Deadline: Monday 1st August 2011
- Location: Kampala & Nairobi
Grameen Foundation (GF) empowers the world’s poorest people to escape poverty through access to financial services and practical technology. Founded in 1997 Grameen Foundation’s innovations, programs and resources have helped more than 45 million people in Sub Saharan Africa, Asia, the Arab World, and the Americas to begin their journey out of poverty. With microfinance and technology, we connect people and local institutions across the globe that share our vision of shattering the barriers for the billion people trying to live on less than a dollar a day.
GF’s Mobile Financial Services Initiative is working to help make financial inclusion simple, affordable and accessible to the poor through the use of mobile phones.
There are 2.5 billion adults around the world who lack access to formal or semi-formal financial services – nearly 90 percent of whom live in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East. As developing countries rapidly adopt new communications technologies, more than half of the world's population has access to a mobile phone. Grameen Foundation is seeking to hire two Senior Software Developers to contribute to our efforts in this space.
The senior developer should be a self-motivated individual who exhibits proven skills working with, and leading, development teams.
Reports to: Technology Manager, CKW Uganda
Essential Job Functions
The software developer will be required to:
- Interpret specifications and designs as provided
- Translate such specifications into appropriate, high quality and documented programs/applications, on time, for Grameen Foundation
- Adopt Grameen Foundation development processes, best practice methods, tools and coding guidelines
- Successfully communicate with the rest of the development team throughout the development process, participate in brain storming sessions on design and implementation specifications, aid in code reviews, and incorporate feedback from code reviews into their own code
- Attend trainings and participate in knowledge transfer exercises. Where the candidate has superior knowledge, they will be expected to guide and train fellow team members
- Offer input in planning, brainstorming, specification and resource estimation processes prior to development
- Aid in deployment and technical support of developed systems and applications
- Be aware of current trends and techniques in the chosen tools, platforms and technologies
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- 5 years’ experience as part of a software development team
- Experience in developing applications for mobile phones. J2ME and Android experience are a plus.
- Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and alignment with Grameen Foundation’s mission
- Languages/Programming Skills/Tools
- Knowledge of Java (required)
- Familiarity with system specification and design as well as various development processes and paradigms (required)
- Familiarity with Test Driven Development (+)
- Familiarity with Junit (+)
- Knowledge of Salesforce Apex Programming (+)
- Mobile application development (+)
- Programming in a team environment
- Source/code control (+)
- SQL Knowledge (Required)
- Familiarity with Mysql and MSSQL (+)
- Tortoise SVN (+)
- Familiarity with project management tools
Physical and Environmental Conditions
- This position does not require unusual demands for physical effort. This position may occasionally require physical effort to lift and transport boxes weighing no more than 50 pounds. It will require spending many hours talking on a telephone.
- Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of places such as offices, meeting or training rooms, residences, or commercial vehicles; e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations and traffic signals.
- The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made in appropriate circumstances to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and what you will bring to the position. Resumes will be accepted through August 1, 2011 and should be sent via email to email@example.com. Please put “Senior Software Developer -MFS” in the subject line.
- MARKETING AND PR WITH PATRICIA MBATIA... Monday 2nd December 2013 3:00pm
- AIRTEL MONEY DEVELOPER SESSION... Wednesday 4th December 2013 1:30pm
- NAIROBI RESEARCH BUZZ... Thursday 5th December 2013 5:30pm
- Taking Unit Testing to the Next Level (.NET User Group Meetup)... Wednesday 27th November 2013 6:00pm