Senior Software Engineer1
- Company: Bridge International Academies
- Deadline: Sunday 30th January 2011
- Location: Nairobi
About this position
We have and are continuing to develop one of the most sophisticated operational approaches to providing affordable education to MILLIONS of children in one of the most challenging environments in the world! We’re looking for an experienced full-time Senior Software Engineer to build software tools that will support the operations for our network of schools.
Our success relies on our “School in a Box”, a sophisticated set of custom developed systems, tools and processes (think McDonalds or Starbucks) that are used by all School Managers, as well as by support teams at Headquarters to audit, monitor and support all of our schools. While the end-user (School Manager) technology at the school is limited to paper and a mobile phone, all of our systems and processes are underpinned by a sophisticated set of supporting and enabling technologies that allows schools to operate cost effectively and efficiently, with oversight by headquarters.
We are looking for a full time Senior Software Engineer with responsibilities of:
- Leading the development of custom enterprise software to power and improve the efficiency of our rigorous processes at both our schools and headquarters
- Architecture, design, implementation and debugging
- Integration of our custom systems with off the shelf software
- Database design and optimization
- Requirements analysis and user interface design
- Supporting in-house users of our custom software and problem solving
- You have BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- You have a minimum of 5 years experience developing custom-built software to enable internal business processes.
- You have experience integrating off-the-shelf and custom-built technologies
- You have developed and supported systems that are critical to the day to day operations of medium and large organizations (ERP, financial systems, CRM…)
- You have designed and supported large databases and are skilled at writing SQL
- You have experience taking software projects through the entire software lifecycle (requirements analysis, design, implementation, deployment, post deployment support)
- You work well as part of a team and like to both teach and learn from others
- You are familiar with professional software development practices such as source code control, defect tracking, unit testing and code reviews
- You love to write code and solve challenging problems
- You function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high
- You are in expert in two or more of the following technologies: C#/.NET development, MS SQL Server, PHP/MySQL web development, SugarCRM, Navision, interactive SMS and mobile payment systems, mobile applications
The job is based in our headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
Examples of our Software Needs
The following are examples some of the software projects that are currently under development or consideration:
- Automated Student Payment Information System - manages billing, automatically updates database with data from banks and mobile payment company, provides tools for operator to correct and assign payments, and uses SMS interface to send coded updates to Schools, and receive interactive SMS queries and remote error correction.
- Customized integrated financial system - taking customizable financial package and integrating with payment information system, reporting tool, and developing additional tools for automated budget tracking and SMS-based payment requests.
- Data Management and Dashboard/Reporting Tools for HQ staff to support schools - we must develop tools that collect key performance data and provide dashboards/reports to allow support teams to monitor progress of our schools.
- Mobile Phone/PDA App - We will be investigating the feasibility and cost of porting of many of our paper-based processes at our schools to a mobile phone or PDA app to streamline school operations.
How to apply
Please visit: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?cj=owssVfw5&s=iHub
- Art meets Tech roundtable... Thursday 21st August 2014 5:30pm
- Afroes Game Design Challenge... Thursday 21st August 2014 9:00am
- FIRESIDE CHAT: RENAUD VISAGE (EVENTBRITE FOUNDER)... Monday 11th August 2014 5:00pm
- Google #40 Forward iHub Forum... Friday 8th August 2014 5:30pm