Web Applications Developer1
- Company: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Deadline: Friday 29th July 2011
- Location: Nairobi
FAO Somalia projects and programmes have accumulated vast amounts of information that is stored in various formats, ranging from elementary MS Excel sheets to enterprise grade relational database systems. FAO- Somalia plans to develop an Information Management and Monitoring System (IMMS) that will bind these datasets together and create a unified interface for data management, querying and reporting. The IMMS will also have a project management section that will be used to capture project details based on standardized logistical framework matrices, as well as have the capacity to link projects to FAO strategic components for purposes of monitoring indicators and measuring success. For further details on the project, write to HR- Somalia@fao.org to obtain a copy by email attachment.
The consultant will report to the Team Leader of the project, and work closely with all team members where their roles have a bearing on this work.
Summary of Key Functions
- Develop a web-based Information Management and Monitoring System (IMMS) for FAO Somalia
- Prepare and update user guides/manuals and technical manuals for the IMMS
- Liaise with the ICT unit on the technical requirements for the development and deployment of the IMMS
- Organize training sessions/seminars for FAO Somalia staff on the IMMS
- Fully developed and deployed Information Management and Monitoring System (IMMS)
- Trained users
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science or any related fields, with over three years experience developing database-driven web applications using open source technologies
- Proven ability to:
- develop web pages using HTML/HTML5
- style web pages using CSS3
- use integrated development editors (IDEs) such as Dreamweaver, Aptana Studio, Eclipse, Netbeans etc
- add dynamic functionality to a web application using JQUERY and AJAX
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of:
- web programming using PHP and related web application frameworks (e.g. Zend, CakePHP, Yii)
- current web application development technologies and concepts using relational databases such as PostGRESQL (enterpriseDB) and MySQL
- database administration tools such as (phpMyadmin, pgMyAdmin, Mysql Workbench, Toad for MySQL)
- Practical experience in:
- open-sourcedevelopment concepts
- application development work in a team environment, with emphasis on delivery of assignments on schedule with a minimum of supervision, and effective integration of contributions to overall team results
How to apply
Send your application to: Candidates must submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/19/2011, along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal History (PH) form (available here - see following page for guidelines on how to fill it out). The covering letter should explain the candidate’s motivation for seeking this position, and will be treated as a writing sample. E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and the application should be sent to HR- Somalia@fao.org. The subject line of the e-mail message should read CONFIDENTIAL – FAO/19/2011. If making a hard copy submission, the envelope should be clearly marked CONFIDENTIAL – FAO/19/2011 and sent to the following address:
Ngecha Road Complex Corner
Lower Kabete Road/Ngecha Road
P.O. Box 30470-00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
Applications may also be faxed, again clearly indicating CONFIDENTIAL - FAO/19/2011 in the subject line, to +254-20- 4000333.
Applications must be received by the deadline. Late applications will not be considered. Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.
- PHP User Group... Tuesday 2nd September 2014 5:30pm
- HOW DO YOU DEVELOP YOUR SOFTWARE... Wednesday 3rd September 2014 6:00pm
- MOBILE MONDAY – FEATURING ELMA BY CRAFT SILICON... Monday 8th September 2014 6:00pm
- MANAGING CUSTOMERS AND MARKETS... Tuesday 9th September 2014 9:00am