Software Engineer - Android1
- Company: Bridge International Academies
- Deadline: Sunday 30th January 2011
- Location: Nairobi
About this position
We have and are continuing to develop one of the most sophisticated operational approaches to providing affordable education to MILLIONS of children in one of the most challenging environments in the world! We’re looking for an experienced full-time Senior Software Engineer to build software tools that will support the operations for our network of schools.
Our success relies on our “School in a Box”, a sophisticated set of custom developed systems, tools and processes (think McDonalds or Starbucks) that are used by all School Managers, as well as by support teams at Headquarters to audit, monitor and support all of our schools. While the end-user (School Manager) technology at the school is limited to paper and a mobile phone, all of our systems and processes are underpinned by a sophisticated set of supporting and enabling technologies that allows schools to operate cost effectively and efficiently, with oversight by headquarters.
We are looking for a full time Software Engineer-Android to design and develop Android applications for tablets/smartphones to allow remote users to access our databases and back-end systems. Specific responsibilities include:
- Software design, implementation and debugging
- Testing and user support
- Working with end users to fine tune software to best take advantage of hardware features
- Evaluation and recommendations of appropriate hardware platforms
- You have BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field
- You have a minimum of 1 year of experience developing software for Android and can demonstrate applications that you have built
- You have a minimum of 2 years of experience with Java programming
- You have experience writing mobile applications that interact with remote databases over the internet
- You work well as part of a team and like to both teach and learn from others
- You are familiar with professional software development practices such as source code control, defect tracking, unit testing and code reviews
- You love to write code and solve challenging problems
- You function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for quality is set high
- Experience with C#, MS SQL Server, PHP, MySQL or SugarCRM is a plus.
The job is based in our headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
Examples of our Software Needs
The following are examples some of the software projects that are currently under development or consideration:
- Automated Student Payment Information System - manages billing, automatically updates database with data from banks and mobile payment company, provides tools for operator to correct and assign payments, and uses SMS interface to send coded updates to Schools, and receive interactive SMS queries and remote error correction.
- Customized integrated financial system - taking customizable financial package and integrating with payment information system, reporting tool, and developing additional tools for automated budget tracking and SMS-based payment requests.
- Data Management and Dashboard/Reporting Tools for HQ staff to support schools - we must develop tools that collect key performance data and provide dashboards/reports to allow support teams to monitor progress of our schools.
How to apply
Please visit: http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?cj=olOvVfwj&s=iHub
- The Cheetah Fund Crowdfunding Bootcamp... Thursday 9th October 2014 9:00am
- PHP USER GROUP MEETUP... Tuesday 7th October 2014 5:30pm
- Wireless Wednesday... Wednesday 1st October 2014 12:00pm
- Entrepreneurship Forum #5... Saturday 27th September 2014 1:00pm