Data Warehouse Consultant1
- Company: Futures Group
- Deadline: Thursday 14th July 2011
- Location: Nairobi
Established in 1971, Futures Group develops and delivers innovative, locally relevant, evidence-based solutions to improve the health and well- being of people around the world. We assist governmental and non-governmental agencies, foundations, and the private sector by designing, implementing and evaluating programs in HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, population and family planning, maternal and child health, infectious diseases, and gender. Futures Group has deep expertise in policy and advocacy, research and strategic information, health markets and private sector engagement, modeling and economic analysis, patient monitoring and management/ health management information systems (HMIS), strategic consulting, and program management.
Futures Group provides HMIS support to the Government of Kenya (GoK) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Under a new contract, the Futures team provides a range of technical assistance including: support for the continued development and implementation of the national HMIS strategy; improving information flow to guide policy and program decisions; facilitating interoperability between disparate HMIS including specific efforts to harmonize and integrate laboratory, pharmacy, and electronic medical records (EMR) sub-systems; and developing a data warehouse.
The Data Warehouse Consultant will advise and provide technical expertise to the Chief of Party, and broader project team on a short-term basis. The period for this consultancy is not to exceed three (3) months. This individual will provide expert-level advice and guidance regarding the project’s strategy for and implementation of the data warehouse, define the business and information requirements, assess existing data sources, resolve high-level business and information issues, coach the team in the development of the data warehousing solution, provide continuity in all major data warehousing solution decisions, and determine how technology can be applied to meet the client’s needs.
The work requires innovation, often with very little guidance. There is an organizational reliance on the knowledge, initiative and experience of the Data Warehouse Consultant. Work is very technical in nature and knowledge is specialized. Depending on availability of funding and evolution of this portfolio, this short-term consultancy may evolve into a full-time position in Year 2.
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing, deploying or maintaining a data warehousing project.
- A minimum of 5 years expert knowledge in IT domains and other relevant experience is required
- A university degree in computer science or information technology (IT) or any related discipline is required as a minimum, post graduate qualification will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of various EMR in Kenya.
- Experience working in all stages of the development life cycle of data warehouse and ETL.
- 5 years Demonstrated experience applying data warehousing tools on at least one other project or work assignment.
- Demonstrated experience with requirements gathering, documentation, and conceptualization of solutions.
- Demonstrated experience developing implementation framework for data warehouse.
- Provides essential skills in Health Integrated Enterprise (HIE) to foster EMR coding of information for interoperability with the data warehouse.
- Perform needs assessment, conceptual description of the data warehouse including business information requirements and data sources
- Assist in the full design and development of the data warehouse interoperability standards, hardware/infrastructure etc.
- Defines the hardware and infrastructure setup both at the data warehouse level and at client node level for effective data access.
- Leads in development of data warehousing standards and SOPs on uploading, storage and extraction of data
- Assist to identify strategies to popularize the use and utility of the data warehouse.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- A broad and extensive knowledge of IT principles, methods and techniques; analytical skills and superior knowledge of project management principles to manage projects and work with multi-disciplinary teams
- Verbal skills are required to communicate technical information to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise as referenced above
- Good writing skills are required to develop and articulate data warehouse strategy and implementation plan and present ideas to various audiences.
- Strong understanding of public health and EMR systems in Kenya.
- Understanding of emerging / new technologies and potential application.
- Strong background in facilitating and training of Health Care workers in health related events.
- Ability to synthesize information and utilize communication approaches to disseminate that information.
- Analytical skills are required to conceptualize the development of IT architectures and frameworks
Equipment to be used: General office equipment; Computers
Physical demands: N/A
Must be available for domestic and international travel for up to 30% time
How to apply
Send your application to: email@example.com
- PHP USER GROUP MEETUP... Tuesday 7th October 2014 5:30pm
- Wireless Wednesday... Wednesday 1st October 2014 12:00pm
- Entrepreneurship Forum #5... Saturday 27th September 2014 1:00pm
- BBC “WORLD HAVE YOUR SAY” RADIO SHOW... Tuesday 23rd September 2014 8:00pm