- Company: Evidence Action
- Deadline: Tuesday 1st April 2014
- Location: Kisumu
Organization: Evidence Action (http://evidenceaction.org/#/p1)
Position Title: Associate, Analysis
Reporting to: Manager, Monitoring, Analysis, and Research
Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Start Date: Immediate
Deadline: April 1st, 2014 (Rolling Basis)
Evidence Action is a new organization working in partnership with an existing non-profit organisation (Innovations for Poverty Action, IPA) to scale proven interventions to improve the lives of the poor in Africa and Asia. Rigor, evidence, and action are all part of our values. We are looking for a dynamic, engaged individual to join our team as a Senior Associate, Analysis working within the Monitoring, Analysis, and Research arm of the organization’s Monitoring, Learning, and Information Systems (MLIS) team. The successful candidate, like the MLIS team, will embody the evidence-based and data-driven nature of the organization.
About Evidence Action
Evidence Action assumes management and growth responsibility for two programs currently making a
difference in the lives of millions of people in Africa and Asia:
· Dispensers for Safe Water is an entrepreneurial program scaling the chlorine dispenser system – a proven innovation that dramatically expands access to water treatment at an extremely low cost. This year the program will reach over one million people in Africa providing safe drinking water to vulnerable populations.
· The Deworm the World Initiative actively supports the scale-up of school-based deworming programs worldwide to improve children’s health, education, and long-term development. Free of intestinal worms, these children can concentrate better and get more out of schooling. We partner with governments to support their work as part of our strategy for financial sustainability and in order to ensure integration with other health and education initiatives. IPA has played in important role incubating the Dispensers for Safe Water program and the Deworm the World Initiative. Now the management, strategic planning, and evolution of this work are transitioning to Evidence Action.
The Associate, Analysis will synthesize, analyze, and extract actionable recommendations from information collected from all of Evidence Action’s programs. The role will require analysis of management information system (MIS) and survey data, independently led secondary research, and systematic documentation of the analytical efforts used to reach the evidence-based recommendations. S/he will contribute to developing appropriate measurement, sampling, and survey strategy and the design of survey instruments to gather quantitative and qualitative data. The ideal Associate, Analysis will be extremely intellectually curious, service-oriented, and able to conduct, document, and
explain complex analysis and research geared towards real-world improvements in the programs service delivery to millions of people throughout East Africa.
This position will be a critical piece of the Monitoring, Analysis and Research team that operates within Evidence Action’s broader Monitoring, Learning, and Information Systems (MLIS) team. The MLIS team embodies the evidence-based nature of Evidence Action’s work and enables us to be a data-driven organization. The MLIS team provides services across Evidence Action Africa region to ensure quality in M&E design, data collection, analysis and research. It builds the necessary standards, systems and processes to enable Evidence Action program to optimally leverage data for decision making.
Goals and Responsibilities
The Associate, Analysis will provide support and guidance to Evidence Action’s monitoring systems:
· Create and update program monitoring systems to ensure appropriate measurements, sampling, and survey strategies
· Provide inputs and guidance to the design of survey instruments and other research tools that will enable clear and meaningful analysis
· Ensure robust documentation of the monitoring strategy, sampling frame, theory of change, and associated target indicators
The Associate, Analysis will coordinate analysis activities across all Evidence Action – Africa Region programs (currently a total of 10 regional offices distributed between Kenya, Uganda, Malawi, and Tanzania). This area of responsibility includes:
· Analyze data on key topics to inform programmatic decision-making in the areas of operations, finance, coverage and adoption.
· Identify and produce well-designed regressions, correlations, conditional means, and other statistical measurements to express the results of program data.
· Compose reports ranging from Pre-Analysis Plans to Dashboard and Analytical Results / Write-ups
· Maintain proper documentation of all analysis for ease of replication and explain methodology used in analysis.
· Extract meaning, through analysis, from M&E and R&D activities that provides insightful interpretations of data.
· Provide key analytical and knowledge inputs for academic and non-academic conference presentations, articles, policy briefs, memos and major proposals;
· Contribute to geographic expansion decisions, and program improvements through the collection and analysis of key demographic and geospatial data;
· Support the development of impact models for key program decisions and metrics.
· Build and update info-graphics that successfully demonstrate program impacts and research results
· Maintain a service oriented, client-based approach in considering the core research questions held by Evidence Action program teams that will facilitate operational and cost-efficiency improvements
· Provide inputs to drafts of Concept Notes detailing the research process for individual inquiries
· Support operations research (e.g. supply chain and design oriented), market research (e.g. community sensitization) and cost-efficiency related projects using quantitative and qualitative methodology for improvements in program and to aid programmatic evidence-based decision making
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, statistics or another quantitative field
- A minimum of 1-2 years work experience in a highly analytical and quantitative role
· Strong familiarity with statistical software packages such as Stata and Excel or similar languages such as R, MatLab, SAS etc. with the ability to learn and adapt to new programs (experience with Stata preferred)
- Strong interest in research on public health, epidemiology, water, and/or sanitation; prior knowledge of the associated literature a plus
- Experience building infographics and/or using design and infographic software (e.g. Gapminder, StatSilk, Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, OmniGraffle etc.)
- Familiarity with behavior change literature, operational analytics, supply-chain analytics, and/or market research principles
· A working knowledge of geospatial analysis in ArcGIS/QGIS and mobile phone survey programming experience in Open Data Kit preferred (at minimum, willingness to learn and independently acquire new technical skills)
· Work experience in entrepreneurial or start-up environments in Africa
· Strong interpersonal and communications skills to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
· Self-directed/self-motivating personality, with proven ability to manage demands from multiple supervisors while adhering to program deadlines and priorities
· Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
· Intellectual flexibility and willingness to form and adjust opinions based on evidence
· Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
· Willingness to travel
NOTE: Please specifically illustrate the above desired qualifications in your cover letter by giving examples from your experience.
In addition, this position requires a candidate to:
· Have a strong commitment to evidence-based practice and policy in the development field
· Be enthusiastic to develop personally and professionally as part of a growing global team
· Possess a strong attention to detail and a genuine love of working with data
How to apply
To apply: Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address. Your CV should include details about your academic qualifications and any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted by email to “firstname.lastname@example.org” as well as “email@example.com”, please ensure that the subject line reads: “Associate, Analysis” REF NO: Evidence Action -2014-03-01. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by phone and email for an interview. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS.
- Wireless Wednesday - Opportunities and Challenges for Adoption of mHealth Solutions in Kenya... Wednesday 23rd July 2014 12:00pm
- #FailFaire Nairobi - Mishaps. Mistakes. Migraines... Thursday 17th July 2014 7:00pm
- ENTREPRENEURS FORUM #3... Saturday 19th July 2014 10:00am
- Job Hunting 4 Techies 101... Wednesday 9th July 2014 5:30pm