Director, Learning Technologies1
- Company: Kenya Education Network
- Deadline: Friday 10th June 2011
- Location: Nairobi
The Kenya Education Network (KENET) is a not-for-profit membership organization that is licensed by the Communications Commission of Kenya as an Alternative Network Facility Provider. KENET is the National Research and Education Network (NREN) of Kenya and partners with licensed telecommunications operators to provide Internet services and connectivity to public and private universities and other tertiary educational and research institutions in Kenya. It also conducts ICT in education research and pilots innovative learning technologies in collaboration with faculty and students in member institutions.
KENET currently operates a national private broadband IP network connecting over 70 campuses in different parts of Kenya, including all of the major private and public universities. KENET peers directly with European Research and Education (GEANT) through the Africa regional Research and Education Network, UbuntuNet Alliance (www.ubuntunet.net). KENET is currently upgrading and expanding its national broadband network and operates a network operations center and data center that provides shared and hosting services to member institutions. The focus of KENET in the strategic plan period is to use the shared infrastructure established to support member institutions that aim to transform teaching learning, research and promote innovations in education and content development.
About this position
This position reports to the Executive Director/CEO of KENET and will be responsible for promoting and piloting the use of modern learning technologies to transform higher education in KENET member institutions. This will be achieved through carefully designed professional development programs for senior university leadership, faculty and researchers. In addition, the position will design and coordinate innovation and demonstrations of teaching and learning with technology projects in collaboration with member institutions. This position is suitable for candidates who are already faculty members in one of the KENET member universities and who are willing to provide academic leadership in the use of learning technologies to transform and enhance the quality of university education in Kenya.
Suitable candidates will be expected to have the following qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in ICT (ICT includes electrical engineering, computer science, information systems) or in educational technology from a recognized university
- At least five years’ experience as a teaching faculty member in a recognized university, preferably in Africa
- Experience in modern teaching and curriculum development methods and student assessment.
- Demonstrated excellent teaching skills at university level (evidence based on teaching portfolio or teaching awards).
- Experience in the use of teaching portfolio or equivalent tool for assessment and documenting teaching experience at university level
- Experience in developing e-learning materials and other online materials.
- Experience in academic leadership and working with senior leadership of universities
- Experience in writing grant proposals and managing research grants will be mandatory.
- Ability to attract grants from industry and foundations will be mandatory, proficiency in computer applications (word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail and other collaborative tools)
- Demonstrate high ethical and moral standards
How to apply
All of the above positions shall be on contract terms of three (3) years which shall be renewable based on performance. An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the position will be offered to the successful candidates.
Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director
Kenya Education Network Trust (KENET)
P.O. Box 30244, 00100 Nairobi
not later than June 10, 2011.
Applications should be accompanied by copies of secondary and university degree certificates, up to date CV showing current or past gross monthly salary, names and addresses of two (2) referees, a cover letter written in essay style, and day-time telephone contact.
E-mail applications should be sent to email@example.com and should include scanned copies of the certificates sent as an attachment.
- NRBUZZ: Using M-Health services to support home-based health care... Thursday 18th September 2014 5:30pm
- INTEL-SPONSORED GAME DEVELOPER MEETUP... Saturday 6th September 2014 10:00am
- PHP User Group... Tuesday 2nd September 2014 5:30pm
- HOW DO YOU DEVELOP YOUR SOFTWARE... Wednesday 3rd September 2014 6:00pm