Senior Telecommunication Engineer1
- Company: Kenya Education Network
- Deadline: Friday 10th June 2011
- Location: Nairobi
The Kenya Education Network (KENET) is a not-for-profit membership organization that is licensed by the Communications Commission of Kenya as an Alternative Network Facility Provider. KENET is the National Research and Education Network (NREN) of Kenya and partners with licensed telecommunications operators to provide Internet services and connectivity to public and private universities and other tertiary educational and research institutions in Kenya. It also conducts ICT in education research and pilots innovative learning technologies in collaboration with faculty and students in member institutions.
KENET currently operates a national private broadband IP network connecting over 70 campuses in different parts of Kenya, including all of the major private and public universities. KENET peers directly with European Research and Education (GEANT) through the Africa regional Research and Education Network, UbuntuNet Alliance (www.ubuntunet.net). KENET is currently upgrading and expanding its national broadband network and operates a network operations center and data center that provides shared and hosting services to member institutions. The focus of KENET in the strategic plan period is to use the shared infrastructure established to support member institutions that aim to transform teaching learning, research and promote innovations in education and content development.
About the position:
This position reports to the Head of Infrastructure and will be responsible for the design, installation, maintenance of a variety of telecommunication networks used to provide Internet services to universities and colleges in Kenya. This position is for an engineer with at least three years’ experience in the telecommunications industry as a network planning and design engineer with specialization in the design and operation of optical fiber networks.
Suitable candidates will be expected to have the following qualifications and experience:
- B.Sc. in electrical /electronic engineering degree or equivalent with specialization in telecommunications networks from a recognized university. The engineering degree must be recognized by the Engineers Registration Board of Kenya.
- At least five years relevant experience as a telecommunications engineer designing, implementing and/or managing optical fiber networks
- Experience in the implementation of wireless access networks will be an added advantage
- Post-graduate degree in telecommunication networks will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in UNIX operating systems and Internet protocols
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English language.
- Demonstrate high ethical and moral standards
All of the above positions shall be on contract terms of three (3) years which shall be renewable based on performance. An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the position will be offered to the successful candidates.
How to apply
Applications should be sent to:
The Executive Director
Kenya Education Network Trust (KENET)
P.O. Box 30244, 00100 Nairobi
not later than June 10, 2011.
Applications should be accompanied by copies of secondary and university degree certificates, up to date CV showing current or past gross monthly salary, names and addresses of two (2) referees, a cover letter written in essay style, and day-time telephone contact.
E-mail applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and should include scanned copies of the certificates sent as an attachment.
- NRBUZZ: Using M-Health services to support home-based health care... Thursday 18th September 2014 5:30pm
- INTEL-SPONSORED GAME DEVELOPER MEETUP... Saturday 6th September 2014 10:00am
- PHP User Group... Tuesday 2nd September 2014 5:30pm
- HOW DO YOU DEVELOP YOUR SOFTWARE... Wednesday 3rd September 2014 6:00pm