- Company: Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation
- Deadline: Wednesday 15th June 2011
- Location: Nairobi
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA), an international organisation based in Wageningen, The Netherlands has an opening for one intern for a period of 6 months renewable once, to work as a member of its ICT Innovation Team.
CTA’s mandate puts emphasis on facilitating access, exchange and dissemination of information in the fields of agriculture, rural development and natural resource management.
During the year 2010, CTA successfully implemented Web 2.0 Learning Opportunities in Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana and Benin. This resulted in the training of 310 participants, 31% women. Feedback from beneficiaries (individuals and institutions) has been extremely positive and requests for replication of the initiative in other countries have been made.
In 2011 CTA extended the same initiative to additional ten countries, namely Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, The Gambia, Zambia, Cameroon, Nigeria, Grenada, Trinidad and Fiji.
Web 2.0 Learning Opportunities promote the adoption and further dissemination of appropriate, low cost, simple and replicable Internet-based applications across ACP actors. It is expected that their implementation will strengthen the capacities of ACP organisations and networks to innovate and better communicate, and finally engage effectively in the development of Agriculture and Rural Development (ARD) and sustainable Natural Resource Management (NRM) policies that would benefit rural communities.
A team of three CTA officers is coordinating the implementation the initiative. The Intern will work under the guidance of the Team Leader (acting as mentor) and in collaboration with the other Team Members.
Responsibilities of the Intern
Under the guidance of his/her mentor, the Intern will carry out the following activities:
- Assist in the organisation and follow-up of Web 2.0 Learning Opportunities;
- Assist in the gathering and processing data for M&E purposes and for assessing project impact
- Interact and collaborate remotely with consultants, host organisations and beneficiaries using cutting edge technologies;
- Assist in project preparation for up-scaling the Web 2.0 learning Opportunity initiative.
- Moderate and animate existing and new online communities and social networks;
- Assist in monitoring CTA online presence and the use of its online resources;
- Contribute to the improvement of CTA’s online visibility and services delivered;
- Perform other tasks as requested by the mentor.
- Start date: as soon as possible.
- Duration: 6 months (renewable once)
- Duty station: Wageningen, The Netherlands
- Medical coverage: provided for the duration of the internship
- International travel: not covered by CTA
- University degree in ICT4D or communication-related disciplines;
- Experience and keen interest in the area of Web 2.0 applications;
- Maximum 30-years old;
- Recently graduated;
- Familiar with African Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries;
- Fluent in written and spoken English or French and ability to work in the other language (mandatory criterion);
- Knowledge in managing CMS (Joomla) is welcome;
- Good organisation, inter-personal and communication skills;
- National of either one European Union member state or of one of the ACP (Africa, Caribbean, and Pacific) States.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit the documents listed below to email@example.com and enter the following text in the email subject field: [web2fordev internship application]
- Curriculum vitae
- Scanned copy of the university degree(s)
- One-page letter explaining why the candidate considers that he/she is in a position to successfully contribute to project implementation and what he/she expects to gain from the internship. The date of earliest availability should be specified as well
- Two letters of recommendation and/or references.
- EXPERT TALK - IBM'S RESEARCH DR. KOMMIE WELDEMARIAM... Wednesday 12th March 2014 4:12am
- DevOps Day Nairobi 2014... Wednesday 12th March 2014 4:12am
- NAIROBIJS MARCH MEETUP – PLAYING WITH ANGULARJS... Wednesday 12th March 2014 4:12am
- INTEL – GOOGLE DEVELOPER GROUP MEETUP... Wednesday 12th March 2014 4:12am