Very often, software developers experience major difficulties managing growth of their applications’ functionality and scale. A seven day advanced training has been organized to address these challenges which have become major hindrances for growth of local software projects. ThoughtWorks
and the World Wide Web Foundation
through m:lab East Africa will be delivering the course. The course targets IT professionals working on applications they wish to advance, especially those that have experienced first hand the challenges of scaling up. Dates for the training are 30th July to 7th August 2012
and the venue will be m:lab East Africa premises.
The offer from ThoughtWorks to facilitate this training is the software giant’s effort to pass on their global expertise and experience to the emerging software industry in East Africa. The World Wide Web Foundation takes the lead among mLab consortium partners to facilitate the course alongside ThoughtWorks as a contribution to equip local entrepreneurs and established companies with skills to grow their software applications to the next level.
The training will provide short term, active interventions with tools and practices that they can apply to their context. The organisers consider these interventions valuable and different from what can be learnt through actively undertaking consultancy jobs and theoretical training. The course will take the form of a workshop that gives attendees a means to enhance product management and software development for their projects
Expected results :
At the end of the course, participants will be expected to:
- Organise their work in a way that allows them to be responsive to change in the market or the users’ needs
- Distill user requirements into user stories
- Manage a product backlog of user stories
- Manage scope and priority [vision; objectives/goals; timelines ]
- Setup different environments for their project and facilitate their work to progress across various environments
- Identify a suitable continuous integration setup for their project
- Design an application’s framework and a relevant data-model
- Collaborate across a cross-skilled team
- Model as-is and to-be process model for their project
- Ensure that software code is clean, test driven and object oriented
A fee of Kshs 42,000
will be charged per person to participate in the course. Individuals and companies intending to take part in this course may reserve their places here
- there are limited spaces remaining.