By Wachira Ndaiga
Kids Hacker Camp is a week-long camp hosted at *iHub_
– Nairobi’s Innovation Hub for the technology community. The camp is aimed at kids and teens aged 7 – 18 years, who are drawn to and interested in crafting, hacking, discovering and tinkering. The camp is envisioned and designed to provide an engaging platform on which children and teens can interactively learn, explore and build; spurring them to understand the world around them, analogue and digital. This exposure and tutelage will then go on to help them build skills in design/creativity, critical & systems thinking, collaboration and self-confidence.
This edition of the Kids Hacker Camp is geared to introduce kids and teens to the world of programming and algorithm generation. The general objectives of this Kids Hacker Camp Edition are as follows:
- Encourage and facilitate fun in crafting, hacking, tinkering.
- Empower attending kids and teens to think creatively and learn by hands-on programming interaction.
- Provide a platform for collaborative effort through group/team work and activities with a solid support structure.
- Provide and instil within the attending youth a foundational basis in hardware and software acuity.
- Provide a platform for kids to showcase their projects.
The Camp will run from the 22ndto the 25thof April with the registration fee pegged at 8,000 KShs. The showcase will be held on the 25th
of April. The mentioned fee will cover food (1 Lunch and 2 Light Snacks) and venue costs for the 5 days, trainer and tooling fees as well as additional giveaways.
In order to extend the energy and learning from the Kid's Hacker Camp beyond just the 6-day camps, we are additionally offering 10 spots for our students to be part of Waza Experience. Waza (Swahili for “Active Thinking”) Experience aims to instill creativity, problem solving, and communication by guiding students through a curriculum based on Design Thinking. Through Waza, we hope to open up minds and spur creative solutions to everyday problems. We believe the Waza sessions will help the students to better apply the technological solutions devised during the Kids Hackers Camp and to better develop solutions with users' problems in mind.
will meet at the iHub on the 2nd Saturday of every month and will run from May - October 2014 (from 10 am - 1 pm). The cost for the whole program (6 classes) including lunch and supplies will cost 7,000 Ksh total. This is an OPTIONAL add-on program and does not affect anyone who wants to participate in Kid's Hacker Camp.
To register for this camp edition and optionally, the Waza Experience, please fill up this form (https://docs.google.com/a/ihub.co.ke/forms/d/1XCL_1qlFFerBlZS7iqJfbZyxsKhRjX0_mPjWa8suEeQ/viewform
). If you would like to sponsor a child or two, please fill up this form (https://docs.google.com/a/ihub.co.ke/forms/d/1xbN-DEoXUxfg2jTNS6P6vGKtsmJYfCMtFoVS044-Vww/viewform
If you would like additional information, feel free to contact us at rnd[at]ihub.co.ke.