Open space for technologists, investors, tech companies and hackers in Nairobi.

"Raspberry Pi" Computer Model-B Rev1 Image obtained from Wikipedia (by Ian Livingston)

iHub By Brian Henia / June 12, 2014

Happy to announce Raspberry Pi Reseller Dealership in Africa

26 Comments

We are excited to announce the Raspberry Pi reseller dealership  between Raspberry Pi, Farnell (Raspberry Pi’s official distributor) and the* iHub_. As from 12th of June *iHub_  has  now become the initial distributor and reseller for Raspberry Pi’s in Africa and Kenya. We recently received our first consignment and we  will  provide dedicated technical support, technical dealer training, warranty desk and administrative dealer support.

This partnership will also set the pace for our e-commerce site whereby both our community members and the public at large can shop for the genuine Raspberry Pi’s. The Pi’s will be  retailing at Ksh 7,000 to purchase one kindly get in touch with brianh@ihub.co.ke

We are looking forward to seeing the groundbreaking  innovative products,ideas and growth of local talent that will result from this dealership.

Author : Brian Henia

26 Comments
  • Michael Pedersen at 16:00:45PM Thursday, June 12, 2014

How much import-duty (in percentage) does KRA charge you on an item like this ?

• Brian Henia at 16:09:06PM Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hi Michael due to the introduction of VAT,Road levy,Railway levy and customs duty 60% is the average cost for import duty for an item like this

• Alloys Meshack at 16:43:41PM Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hi Brian any luck we can also get the Adruinos?

• jke at 19:18:04PM Thursday, June 12, 2014

Great! Now let’s see what kind of cool projects the community will come up with. I am btw using mine with OpenELEC as an AppleTV-substitute (which support AirPlay ootb). I’d love to see it being used with the Brck.

• Joash Musyoka at 08:16:32AM Friday, June 13, 2014

Are your PI’s made in the UK or in China? I here the Chinese versions are sub-standard.

• Brian Henia at 17:44:51PM Friday, June 13, 2014

Hi Joash our PI’s are from UK and yes the chinese version are sub-standard I highly encourage you to buy genuine PI’s from us.

• Brian Henia at 17:47:00PM Friday, June 13, 2014

Goodstuff! let’s keep the projects coming.

• Brian Henia at 17:48:18PM Friday, June 13, 2014

It’s in the pipeline we shall advise once ready keep checking on blog and social media resources.

• Fahm Bekele at 11:02:12AM Monday, June 16, 2014

Will there be any discounts for people that may want to buy in bulk?
    Are you selling the kit or just the board?
    How about accessories?

• Daniel Ekal at 11:07:29AM Monday, June 16, 2014

I admire your enterprising spirit, but I think this venture goes a little bit contrary to the initial spirit and purpose of the raspberry pi project which was to avail low cos computing to the masses. How did you go up from 35 USD, the price of the costliest raspberry pi to 7000 Kshs( almost three times the original price)? Please be considerate and review your prices.

• diaznash at 11:30:59AM Monday, June 16, 2014

Why do you say the chinese version are substandard & for all i know production moved from UK to china to fulfill demands. I have someone who has used one for almost 6mnths now. And it cost 5500.

• Joash Musyoka at 11:48:43AM Monday, June 16, 2014

@Brian. Thanks. I need one unit for a project I will be starting soon. Will contact you then. Thank you!

• Brian Henia at 11:51:27AM Monday, June 16, 2014

Dear Faham,

Thanks for reaching out to us kindly let’s further this discussion via mail you can reach me via brianh@ihub.co.ke

• The Pi Hobbyist at 11:51:39AM Monday, June 16, 2014

I bought a Genuine Raspberry pi (with free casing) from Nerokas Engineering Solutions at Ksh 6000/= why is yours this much expensive?

• Brian Henia at 11:55:34AM Monday, June 16, 2014

Dear Daniel,
    We appreciate your views though the actual costing is about 40 USD plus 60 % worth of taxes that leaves us with a small margin kindly ping me on my email address brianh@ihub.co.ke and I will share more details or better still invite you to our offices for a cup of coffee as I take you through the value proposition.

• Charles at 12:20:21PM Monday, June 16, 2014

Cool stuff. Looking to hardware hack and grow the hackers community in Kenya with these kinds of partnerships :D

• The Pi Hobbyist Fun at 18:03:58PM Monday, June 16, 2014

*Thumbs up* The Pi Hobbyist

• iHub is Africa's Official Raspberry Pi Distributor - TechCabal at 13:40:38PM Tuesday, June 17, 2014

[…] will be retailing at Ksh 7,000 [₦13,000] and everyone interested in the purchase can do so from iHub for […]

• FRANCIS LOWA at 17:05:25PM Tuesday, June 17, 2014

So 7K is for the board alone? No case, no pre-loaded SD card, or even the power cable?

• Lucid at 13:43:53PM Saturday, June 21, 2014

for brand new board model B raspberry pi, Made in UK Ksh 5,500. 0734389084: lucidlinux@gmail.com

• Joash Musyoka at 16:22:04PM Saturday, June 21, 2014

I finally bought a new made in UK version B at KSH. 5,500. Its been shipped in by element14. Maybe farnel is charging expensivily. Please review your price

• Alex Aluga at 23:31:11PM Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Finally got to get me one of these, anyone know where i can get the beaglebone back for linux distros ? i need to to a test drive on both

• david ngugi at 15:19:20PM Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I would really use one of them but what about the accessories?? That’s my issue

• david ngugi at 15:22:51PM Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Where did you buy that exactly? Hit me up at ndavidngugi@gmail.com

• edwin at 15:35:54PM Monday, August 4, 2014

if u want any of those components kindly go to http://store.nerokas.co.ke its a great kenyan site

• Alex at 10:11:22AM Friday, August 8, 2014

So are the devices still available??