iHub By Mugethi Gitau / April 30, 2014
Fireside Chat: Ory Okolloh
Guest blog by Betty Mutimba
We call her the Kenyan Pundit from back in her active blogging days. You may know her as co-founder of Mzalendo, the parliamentary watchdog site, or co-founder of Ushahidi, an online service for crowd mapping data. Still, others know her from her world famous Ted Talk on becoming an activist. She was Policy Manager for Africa with Google, worked as a legal consultant for several NGOs, has worked at Covington and Burling, the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights and the World Bank. She is currently Director of Investments at Omidyar Network. As if that cup is not already overflowing, she was recently named one of TIME’s Top 100 Most Influential People! Also, let’s not forget that she’s a mother of three.
In support of the #40Forward Google for Entrepreneurs campaign Startup Grind Nairobi in conjunction with the iHub will be hosting the sensational Ory Okolloh. She is the perfect example of defying the odds, not letting your surroundings or your background define you and most importantly, maintaining a mind of your own. Ory travels a lot as a conference speaker, a feat that is not easy to complete with work and family demands on her plate, but she will still make that trip halfway across the world to speak to ensure that there is diversity of opinion and in the hope of encouraging other women to step out as well. She is passionate about women, about Africa, about transparency and accountability in politics… she makes it her mission not to give aid but to support African entrepreneurs and citizens in building their own societies.
The evening of Tuesday, May 6th will definitely be an exciting one as we spend some time with Ory over an intimate fireside chat at the iHub, followed by a networking session with Nairobi’s most promising founders and entrepreneurs. You don’t want to be left out, so go ahead and reserve your spot! The Startup Grind’s mission is to make your startup journey less lonely, more connected and more memorable.
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- Success Through Failure – Third Time’s The Charm!
- August Kids Hacker Camp: Maker-Breaker Day
- < Job hunting for techies 101 > – How it went down
- Wireless Wednesday- Opportunities and Challenges for Adoption of mHealth Solutions in Kenya
- 6 Things A Nairobi Matatu Tout Can Teach You About Business
Tag Cloudafrica Akirachix apps community dangerous speech design developers Entrepreneurship event gaming ict iHub iHubResearch (R@iHub) Innovation Intel kenya m:lab microsoft mobile nairobi open data outreach PIVOT25 Research Social Entrepreneurship startups Tech Technology training Umati
- #AskWaikenda at the iHub on 14th November at 6pm
- Fireside Chat with @ChiefKariuki | Thursday, 28th February | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub
- Intel in Africa – A Heck Of A Fight Part I
- “Organizing the world’s information for our users”: A Fireside Chat with Google’s Marissa Mayer
- Fireside chat with John Waiboichi CEO, Virtual City