iHub By Mugethi Gitau / April 23, 2014
Are you ready for Girls in ICT Day 2014? We are!
Guest blog by Marie Githinji
We are just 3 days away from the much awaited Girls in ICT Day, and are stoked about having you all join us for a day of fun and collaboration.
Girls in ICT Day, 2014 (Designed by Fridah Oyaro)
This year, we are not only hosting girls from various high schools across the country, but are also opening it up to young ladies in University, as this event is geared towards exposing young women to career opportunities in the tech industry.
We have a number of panels featuring various amazing women set for the day. Wangechi Mwangi, AkiraChix super Volunteer and co founder of ValuRaha, Martha Chumo, founder of Nairobi Dev School, and Cynthia Wasonga, a budding student programmer will share their experiences of transitioning over from high school to the world of tech.
There’ll be a fireside chat featuring women in leadership, such as:-
- Hital Muraj, Corporate Affairs Manager Cisco Systems, East and Central Southern Africa
- Dr. Shikoh Gitau, User Innovator with the Social Innovation Team at Mercy Corps
- Alice Chemtai Muraguri, Consultant – East Africa, Campus Management and Chapter Sponsor, ACMW Nairobi Chapter
- Linda Kamau, Senior developer at Ushahidi, co-founder and Programs Director at AkiraChix
- More ladies you can expect to interact with include Nyandia Kamawe from Emawak Designs Limited, and Angela Okune, Research Lead at iHub Nairobi.
There’ll be lots of other fun activities, including a gaming rink, as well as showcases from the ongoing Robotics bootcamp
Lunch and Snacks will be provided. Plus you also get your own cool t-shirt. Get your free tickets from the Eventbrite page and encourage your friends, daughters and sisters in tech to also get their tickets!
Huge thanks to Intel, and to iHub Nairobi for the continued support and offering us space to run the event .
$i = 1; ?>
Tabitha at 10:32:18AM Friday, April 25, 2014
I’m trying to look for a channel to apply for attendance. How can I apply? I wanted to attend the event.
Annual Girls in ICT Day celebrated across Africa – oAfrica at 11:54:20AM Friday, April 25, 2014
[…] AkiraChix, for the second time, hosted a day-long event at iHub Nairobi for high school and university girls interested in ICT. Successful female entrepreneurs were on […]Reply
Irene at 17:24:57PM Monday, April 28, 2014
Kindly update me on the date, time and venue. I would really love to attend the eventReply
Mugethi Gitau at 15:45:10PM Monday, June 9, 2014
Hi. Sorry, this event already happened.Reply
Keep following our blog for more exciting events.
AFRICAN HUBS AT THE FOREFRONT OF CATALYZING WOMEN IN TECHNOLOGY at 12:20:54PM Tuesday, August 19, 2014
[…] exposure, mentorship and hear from role models in the tech space. Some of these programs include Girls in ICT day that is held every year and Mobile garage that aims to create sustainable businesses for the […]Reply
airo kezia at 19:50:06PM Wednesday, September 3, 2014
I really enjoyed the event. could you please update me on when the next one isReply
Mugethi Gitau at 09:27:41AM Thursday, September 4, 2014
Hi Kezia, we shall definately announce it on our blog and social media. If you would like to be alerted about it, email angela at akirachix . comReply
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- Bad judgement – Experience – Good judgement.
- Calling all Kenyan startups to attend Ventureburn Meetup
- What Tracking Misinformation in Tana Delta Entails
- Latin ‘desired things’
- [Podcast] M:lab East Africa Interview with Sheilah Birgen