iHub By James Ndiga / November 4, 2013
The future delivered today: Lesson learnt from Transform Africa Summit 2013 in Rwanda
*iHub_Research Outreach Coordinator, James Ndiga,traveled to Kigali last week to attend the Transform Africa Summit on behalf of *iHub. The Summit was organized under the theme, “The Future Delivered Today,” as leaders, investors, and entrepreneurs from across the world devised ways for Africa to leverage broadband for the transformation of communities, governments and the private sector.
Seven African Heads of State addressed participants at the Transform Africa Summit in Kigali co-hosted by President Paul Kagame and Dr. Hamadoun Toure, the secretary-general of the International Telecommunication Union.
The four-day event consisted of a Leaders’ Summit, Smart Days Africa, a parallel youth innovation and entrepreneurship summit, a cutting edge exhibition and Transform Africa Continental Awards. In attendance were delegates from over 40 African Countries.
The leaders tackled issues of interest for the advancement of the use of ICTs in Africa to boost the continent’s economic development and resource mobilization. They also discussed investment opportunities that the continent can offer to the world as well as the role of the private sector in Africa’s economic transformation.
One statement that stood out from the presentations was President Yoweri Museveni stating that “the application and utilization of Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) must not be unidirectional but multi-directional and integrate with the whole social economic transformation processes of our national economies.“This highlighted the importance of ICT as an environment and how it can be integrated with other sectors like the service industry, agriculture, health, education and public sector.
Two Kenyan start-ups were also honored at the summit. The first and second runners-up were Kenyan firms -Fishmate Ltd, which links Kenyan fish farmers to their customers , and Mobicraft Solutions, a faith-based SMS service.
Join us this Thursday 7th November 2013 from 5:30pm to 7:30pm at the *iHub for the Nairobi Research Buzz as we discuss some of the insights from the conference.
1.James Ndiga-*iHub_Research-Outreach Coordinator.
2. Kweli Mukeli- Co-Founder,Fishmate, 1st Runners up Transform Africa Summit 2013 Youth Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
3. Fridah Oyaro-Co-Founder ,Mbegu Halisi,finalist,Transform Africa Summit 2013 Youth Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
4. Nickson Nyakambi-Co-Founder,mHealth Solutions Center,finalist,Transform Africa Summit 2013 Youth Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
Kindly register here to attend.
See you there.
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- PIVOT East partners with Tech hubs for 2014 startups competition
- Screening of Girl Rising – empowering young women in ICT and entrepreneurship
- Why calling yourself a Startup could be Killing your Business
- INTEL IDEATION CAMP
- A Recap of #UmatiForum: The Many Faces of Online Hate Speech in Kenya