iHub By iHub Administrator / August 2, 2013
Working with GIS @iHub Research
by James Ndiga
iHub Research invites interested participants to a one-day workshop on “Working with GIS”.
There are limited spaces so sign up early. Register here to attend!
Date: Tuesday, 13th August 2013 Time: 0930-1700Hours
Venue: iHub Research
Maps are a powerful tool to visualize information and make spatial linkages obvious. Using data in a geospatial environment is an added value when working with communities or stakeholders to make important aspects more visible, whether socio-economic or biophysical.
The GIS-course will teach basic knowledge on how to visualize your data and how to conduct basic geospatial analysis. You will learn how to make a map and how to use your data in it to simply visualize complex problems.
Topics that will be covered during the workshop
- What is a GIS?
- What are typical Geo-functions?
- With what data does a GIS work?
- Get your data in a GIS
- Modifying your data
- Creating new spatial data
- How to make a map?
The course will be held by Valerie Graw, PhD Researcher at the Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn. Valerie’s PhD study is on linkages of socio-economic and biophysical patterns with regard to maize production in Kenya, based on geospatial analysis. She has a background in geography with focus on GIS and remote sensing imagery analysis.
Register here to attend!
Mambogojr at 14:01:55PM Friday, August 2, 2013
Great Job guys ..Must attendReply
githinji mwaniki at 23:23:56PM Sunday, August 4, 2013
in this platform I have learnt a lot. kudos iHUB.
I am a graduate of Agri. Engineering, and I’ve always wanted to follow up precision farming. I find the workshop on GIS a great step into that realisation.Reply
Use of technology for advancement is a dear thing to my heart. I am a tech. lover and an aspiring developer and just wish I would get a chance to grow this dream. I am a new practising graphic designer and would love to come to that event. I have already registered. thank you iHUB community, you inspire me
A Njagi at 13:42:40PM Monday, August 5, 2013
Is there any paymentReply
Patrick at 13:31:16PM Thursday, August 8, 2013
The day and date (Monday 13th) are conflicting. Is this on Monday 12th or Tuesday 13th?Reply
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- PIVOT East partners with Tech hubs for 2014 startups competition
- Screening of Girl Rising – empowering young women in ICT and entrepreneurship
- Why calling yourself a Startup could be Killing your Business
- INTEL IDEATION CAMP
- A Recap of #UmatiForum: The Many Faces of Online Hate Speech in Kenya
Tag Cloudafrica community design developers Entrepreneurship event ict iHub iHubResearch (R@iHub) Innovation Intel kenya m:lab Meetups microsoft mobile nairobi open data outreach PIVOT25 projects Research robotics Social Entrepreneurship startups talks Tech Technology training Umati
- Microsoft Virtual Tools Training
- Affordable business management training at the iHub – December 5th
- Sign up for the ICCM Pre-Conference Training Day
- Updated – Affordable business training for entrepreneurs and community members at iHub
- Affordable business training for entrepreneurs and community members at iHub