iHub By Joseph / August 26, 2013
Dot Net Meetup: August 28th at the ihub
By Stephen Ebichondo
One of the most criticized features of Visual Studio ever since it came out has been the ability, or lack and inadequacy thereof, of the IDE to integrate third-party unit testing libraries into it.There are many views on which is the best time to write unit tests for software, some folks feel strongly that it should be after the software is written, but a growing number of people prefer writing unit tests before the production code is written. This approach is called Test Driven Development.
Test driven development is different from traditional development, you begin by writing a test that fails, then you move on to creating the production code, seeing the test pass, and continuing on to either refactor your code or create another failing test. Previously MSTest Framework wanted users to rely on automatically generated tests put up after code has already been written. This runs so counter to the tenets of Test Driven Development that MSTest Framework was simply ignored, and many developers came up with ways to hack third party unit-testing frameworks like NUnit, MBUnit, xUnit and so on for their .NET projects. Inevitably, MSTest Framework ended up being vilified by the believers of TDD.
With Visual Studio 2012 we have provided a means of using frameworks like NUnit to actually be run within its IDE, in a tightly integrated way, and in turn, the ability to code test-first. This month’s meeting we shall be talking about how to make that happen, If you would like to speak please email Stephen Ebichondo at email@example.com.
The meet up will take place from 6:00PM – 7:30PM
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- Intel Shark Tank: Wednesday 11th December, 2013 | 5 – 8 pm | iHub
- This week at iHub
- Airtel Money Developer Session Wednesday 4th Dec from 1:30-5:30pm
- Marketing and PR with Patricia Mbatia on Monday 2nd Dec from 3pm
- IBM Research – Africa @ Nairobi Research Buzz
Tag Cloudafrica apps community design developers Entrepreneurship event ict iHub iHubResearch (R@iHub) Innovation Intel kenya launch Meetups microsoft mobile nairobi open data outreach PIVOT25 Research Social Entrepreneurship startups talks Tech Technology training Umati women
- Taking Unit Testing to the Next Level (.NET User Group Meetup 27th November 2013 1800hrs)
- Microsoft 4Afrika offers internships for President Obama’s YALI Fellows
- Visit by Jean-Philippe Courtois, President, Microsoft International | Tuesday 4th June | 4.15 – 5.45pm | iHub
- Microsoft announces end of Support for Windows XP
- Windows Product Research – Developer Focus Group | Wednesday 10th April, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:00 pm | iHub