iHub By Rachel Gichinga / April 5, 2013
“Opportunities for White Space Radios to Provide Broadband Access” – Talk by Prof Timothy X. Brown, Carnegie Mellon University Rwanda | Thursday 11th April, 2013 | 6-7:30 pm | iHub
Wireless technology has the potential to expand broadband access to many people with modest investment. But, where will the critical wireless spectrum come from? All useful spectrum is already allocated while paradoxically most spectrum is unused. This paradox can be shattered with a new technology, dynamic spectrum access. We will discuss how dynamic spectrum access presents both technical challenges that need solved while also creating opportunities for regulators to unlock the potential of their country’s spectrum. We will also present examples of its use including access to the unused “white spaces” in the television band to provide broadband.
This talk will be delivered by Professor Timothy X Brown of Carnegie Mellon University – Rwanda. He is a Professor in Electrical, Computer, and Energy Engineering and served as Director of the Interdisciplinary Telecommunications Program at the University of Colorado, Boulder. He received his B.S. in physics from Pennsylvania State University and his Ph.D. in electrical engineering from California Institute of Technology in 1990.
His research interests include adaptive network control, machine learning, and wireless communication systems. His current research funding includes NSF, FAA, DOE, and industry. Projects include the role of mobility in network control of unmanned aircraft, denial of service vulnerabilities in wireless protocols, spectrum policy frameworks for cognitive radios, and indoor wireless network performance.
He is a recipient of the NSF CAREER Award, and the GWEC Wireless Educator of the Year Award.
Register here to attend the talk.
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- Bad judgement – Experience – Good judgement.
- Calling all Kenyan startups to attend Ventureburn Meetup
- What Tracking Misinformation in Tana Delta Entails
- Latin ‘desired things’
- [Podcast] M:lab East Africa Interview with Sheilah Birgen
Tag Cloudafrica Akirachix apps community dangerous speech design developers Entrepreneurship event fireside chat ict iHub iHubResearch (R@iHub) Innovation Intel kenya m:lab microsoft mobile nairobi open data PIVOT25 Research Social Entrepreneurship startups Tech Technology training Umati ushahidi
- Marketing and PR with Patricia Mbatia on Monday 2nd Dec from 3pm
- Talk by Sven Beckmann, Intel’s GM for South & Sub-Saharan Africa | Wednesday June 5th | 6-7:30 pm | iHub
- Visit by Jean-Philippe Courtois, President, Microsoft International | Tuesday 4th June | 4.15 – 5.45pm | iHub
- User-Centered Innovation: Talk by Michele Visciola of Experientia | Friday 19th April, 2013 | 5:30 – 7 pm | iHub
- The Developer’s Dilemma – How will the market change over the next 3-5 years? | Talk by Russell Southwood | Thursday 18th April, 2013 | 4-6 pm | iHub