iHub By Lillian Nduati / February 26, 2013
NipeUkweli – What Role Will You Play?
What you do in the next days before, during, and after elections can help to maintain peace and calm during this election period.
Umati, an online media monitoring project – the first of its kind to document instances of dangerous speech online – holds that dangerous speech has the potential to catalyze violence on the ground.
Because you are part of an active online community, a community radio group, or are a journalist covering different media platforms, you are invited to join Umati and Uchaguzi in a session on NipeUkweli: Debunking Myths during Elections, on Friday, 1st March, from 10:00am – 1:00pm, iHub Nairobi, 4th Floor, Bishop Magua (opposite Uchumi Hyper).
NipeUkweli – Kiswahili for “Give me truth” – is a campaign developed by the Umati project to educate Kenyans about dangerous speech and what individuals can do to combat its effects. NipeUkweli calls for responsible Kenyans to correct false rumors and to instead promote positive speech.
This event will create awareness on the key role that media (both online and traditional) play in influencing audiences. We hope to motivate Kenyans to discuss elections sensitively across different media platforms (e.g. radio, TV, SMS, blogs, Facebook, Twitter).
The event is aimed at the general public, since anyone who tweets or even sends SMS can “give the truth.” This event will cover:
· Identifying Dangerous Speech and explaining its potential to catalyze violence;
· Encouraging positive content from audiences;
· Different ways of countering dangerous speech as a journalist, blogger, social media user, on-the-ground citizen;
· Demonstration of how to use the Uchaguzi platform to report during the election period;
· Launching of the Uchaguzi Situation Room - where volunteer teams from March 2nd to March 8th will monitor reports from the Uchaguzi platform during elections.
Hope to see you there.
No comments yet
Leave a Reply
- Characteristics of Incident Reporters on Twitter
- Pivot East 2013 Finalists.
- .NET Meetup: Focus on Application Lifecycle Management | Wednesday, 29th May | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub
- Social Entrepreneurship Happy Hour, Featuring Sanergy | Tuesday 28th May, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm | iHub
- Open Data in Developing Countries -Monitoring and Evaluation study on Kenyan OD technologies