iHub By Editor / January 11, 2013
m:Lab East Africa’s Wave 5 | Applications for Training Now Open
By Sheilah Birgen
Application for the m:lab East Africa’s Mobile Application Development and Entreprenuership is open. The program is designed to offer individuals who already have a software development background an opportunity to hone their skills on mobile applications technologies as well as develop their entrepreneurial skills.
The training is undertaken at m:lab East Africa’s facilities in Nairobi, Kenya, located at Bishop Magua Centre on Ngong road. The training facility has capacity for 25 students equipped with computers and high speed internet connections. The Lab’s testing facility equipped with a wide range of mobile devices from various manufacturers is also accessible for application testing and quality assurance.
Technologies covered in the training include USSD, android, J2me, php, mysql, LWUIT, Mobile Web, IVR, User Experience Design, SMS, Systems Design. Business skills covered include the lean methodology, business model canvasses, monetization strategies for mobile innovation, customer development and user experience design.
The training gives the individual(s) undertaking it a chance to start up viable companies, it gives them exposure to the best of breed mobile programming technologies, practical skill development, Exposure to the business models and monetization aspects of mobile among other benefits.
Some of the factors applicants should consider before submitting applications: The application Deadline is at 11:59pm on 23rd January 2013, The course is on a fulltime basis for a period of 4 months, it will run from February to May.Accepted trainees will pay a total of Kshs 10,000 which constitutes the following :-
- Refundable deposit KSh. 5,000 (based on attendance history, performance and final project report)
- Non-refundable commitment fee KSh. 5,000
The actual cost of the course subsidised by infoDev is approximately $1,000 per trainee. The training is also made possible through partnerships with corporates like Samsung who are the current sponsors of the training room.
- Must be available on a full time basis from 9.30am to 3.30pm for 4 months (between 1st February 2013 and 30th May 2013)
- A strong entrepreneurial instinct is an added advantage
Applications are open for new students to join the program.See details and apply here
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- Are you ready for Girls in ICT Day 2014? We are!
- iHub @ Connected Kenya Summit 2014
- Venture Capital Course Coming July 29-30
- Incubated Startups at the m:lab Win Accolades at Connected Kenya
- NETmundial Hub in Nairobi – Meeting on the future of Internet Governance