iHub By Rachel Gichinga / August 28, 2012
Valuation For African Startups | 4th September 2012 | iHub
Everyone’s talking about Kenya’s technology start-up scene. Just a few days ago, the Economist, who achieved notoriety for their Hopeless Continent issue, ran a great piece about how Kenya’s tech scene is about to take off. Investors are flocking here to cash in early. However, are the Kenyan startups themselves ready for this boom? An important point recently raised was that a lot of local tech-preneurs have no idea how to really quantify how much they’re worth when investors come knocking, leading to the proliferation of “vulture” capitalists taking advantage of under-informed entrepreneurs.
On September 4th from 6-8 p.m at the iHub, Savannah Fund managing partner Mbwana Alliy will walk the iHub community through Valuation Theory basics. Topics that will be covered include:
- Things you can do in a startup that drive valuation
- External factors (outside your control) that drive valuation
- Valuation and the African start-up context
- Is a “large” valuation really the goal?
- Examples of successful valuations
This is an important discussion for anyone who’s looking to grow their startup with any kind of external funding. Register here to attend.
Mbwana Alliy is passionate about product development and launching new ventures in technology. He is an experienced Product Manager within consumer web, enterprise Software & SaaS. He is originally from Tanzania and has lived and worked in 3 continents (USA, Europe and Africa). He has a Bachelor’s Engineering degree from Bristol University and an MBA from Stanford Graduate school of Business.
Market Sizing for the African Tech Startup | Thursday 31st January, 2013 | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub | *iHub_ at 15:26:52PM Wednesday, January 23, 2013
[...] This will be the second installment of the ‘XYZ for African Tech Startup’ series, with the first one having been September’s session on ‘Valuation for African Startups‘. [...]Reply
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- New Africa prize highlights engineering as key development driver
- Interested in Information Security? We’re offering a class!
- How We Hire
- Expert Talk – IBM’s Research Dr. Kommie Weldemariam
- Its Cloudy Today: Goodbye Cluster, Hello Cloud