iHub By Jessica Colaço / March 6, 2012
Gates Grand Challenges Explorations
Many people in the developed world are aid weary. They know billions of dollars go into aid, and yet the problems never seem to go away. This leads them to question if the money ever gets to where it is needed, and even then, if it is used wisely. The media seems full of stories of corruption, waste and broken systems.
But that’s not the whole story. Effective aid programs help developing countries become self-sufficient. They do not replace those countries’ efforts, but rather support the important work that’s already under way.
While not all aid projects deliver the kind of returns we hope for, very many do—and it’s critical to keep the support for those projects flowing.
Grand Challenges Explorations (GCE) has announced a call for proposals in communications. They’ll be funding up to 10 game-changing ideas to help with one of the most significant challenges at the foundation: changing the conversation around foreign aid.
- We are looking for revolutionary ways to gather and stories of foreign aid working well, and to engage communities around the world in this issue.
- Anyone with a great idea is encouraged to apply. The submission process is simple, requiring just a two-page proposal. Instructions can be found here: http://www.grandchallenges.org/Explorations/Topics/Pages/GHCommunicationsRound9.aspx
- The call will close on May 15, 2012. Up to 10 Phase I grants of $100,000 USD will be awarded within just a few months.
- The Cannes Lions Chimera, a special panel made up of the best talent across advertising, media, and technology, are advising the program, and will mentor the winners as they develop their projects. More information on the Chimera can be found here: www.canneslions.com/chimera
- Each of the Phase I grant-recipients will have one opportunity to apply for a follow-on Phase II grant of up to $1,000,000 USD.
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- Announcing Barcamp Nairobi 2014!
- [Sign up] August 2014 Graphic Design Bootcamp!
- [Crowdfunding Opportunity] Jumpstart Africa Accepting Projects
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10 For You
- First Pan-African Women in Tech Meetup