iHub By Simeon Oriko / February 28, 2012
iHub Outreach Program: Egerton University and University of Eastern Africa, Baraton
The iHub has in the past engaged with different stakeholders and communities outside the tech domain with a view to identify and take advantage of opportunities as well as tackle challenges that arise from the synergy between the two communities.
In the recent past we have began formalizing this process into an outreach program that we believe will broaden avenues of opportunity for the community.
Recently, on invitation from Egerton University and the University of Eastern Africa, Baraton, the iHub conducted an outreach program at the two institutions outlining the history and activities of Ushahidi, iHub, iHub Research, m:lab East Africa and Pivot East.
The objectives for this outreach are listed as follows:
- Increase awareness of the iHub to the university developer community outside Nairobi
- Identify synergy opportunities between the university fraternity and the iHub
- Brainstorm ways to engage both communities in advancing the local developer ecosystem
Both events had a two part program: the first part a talk outlining the iHub and its related initiatives and the second part a brainstorming session on possible collaboration opportunities.
- The Western Kenya region has a strong academic hold that the iHub and the greater tech community can tap into with regard to research
- Too many tech resources are concentrated in Nairobi. Need to create avenues to seed them to other tech communities in the country
- University education isn’t meeting certain industry demands/needs. The iHub should partner with institutions to bridge the gap
- Access to resources shared with the iHub members – especially those that can be shared virtually (heavily pegged on the writeboards)
Elias Tenai at 14:51:25PM Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Look forward to the event.Reply
Aziz Mola at 10:34:29AM Monday, March 5, 2012
how do you get such a program to your university?Reply
Moffat Ngacha at 18:40:33PM Monday, March 5, 2012
This was great and we look into more ways of co-working with the iHub.Reply
View more of our events here http://blog.eucossa.org/
Simeon Oriko at 17:05:34PM Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Send me an email with your request: firstname.lastname@example.orgReply
Leave a Reply
- Social Entrepreneurship Happy Hour, Featuring Sanergy | Tuesday 28th May, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm | iHub
- Open Data in Developing Countries -Monitoring and Evaluation study on Kenyan OD technologies
- Understanding The edTech Ecosystem in Kenya – Wireless Wednesday Recap
- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – 2013 L’Oreal-UNESCO: Regional fellowship for Women in Science in Sub-Saharan Africa
- NRBUZZ: DIGITIZING MARKET RESEARCH