iHub By Jessica Colaco / January 9, 2012
IEEE Webinar: Leveraging ICT Business Models to Help Reduce Poverty
This webinar reveals how Information and Communication Technology (ICT) can viably provide access to education, healthcare, agro-services or financial services to the billions of people living with less than a few dollars per day, also called the Base of the Pyramid. The webinar is based on a review of more than 280 initiatives found in developing countries worldwide. The webinar will provide insights to the 15 of the most ground breaking market-based business models with a proven scale and results on the ground, showing that ICT can be a lever improving the living standards of the BoP. The session will, however, also show that ICT is no silver bullet to development .
Marc van den Homberg
Marc van den Homberg is the co-founder and leader of the ICT for Development (ICT4D) market team at TNO. Together with strategic Western and Southern partners, we develop and apply pro-poor ICT innovations in developing countries following a market based approach. This approach enables stakeholders to empower beneficiaries as resilient and creative entrepreneurs as well as value-demanding consumers who can contribute to sustainable social and economical development. TNO has unique expertise in the area of: Open data (in combination with earth observation data) and User empowerment, Business models for the BoP, Inclusive Innovation and Co-creation, and Cross-boundary cooperation.
Date: Wednesday January 26, 2012 from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM EST (7pm in Nairobi)
This is an online event and you can register here
No comments yet
Leave a Reply
- Characteristics of Incident Reporters on Twitter
- .NET Meetup: Focus on Application Lifecycle Management | Wednesday, 29th May | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub
- Social Entrepreneurship Happy Hour, Featuring Sanergy | Tuesday 28th May, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm | iHub
- Open Data in Developing Countries -Monitoring and Evaluation study on Kenyan OD technologies
- Understanding The edTech Ecosystem in Kenya – Wireless Wednesday Recap