iHub By Patrick Munyi / July 29, 2011
Thomas C. Barry Talk – President and CEO of Zephyr Management
Thomas C. Barry is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Zephyr Management, L.P., an investment management company which he founded in 1994. Zephyr has sponsored thirteen specialized investment funds with approximately US $2 billion in committed capital. Zephyr’s private equity funds currently invest in Africa (Kingdom Zephyr Africa Management Company) and India. Zephyr’s marketable securities funds invest in stock markets of developing countries.
In Africa, Zephyr Management has been a pioneer in private equity since 1994 when the firm sponsored the first offshore private equity fund in South Africa after the election of Nelson Mandela, South Africa Capital Grown Fund, with IFC as a lead investor. The IFC was also a lead investor in Pan-African Investment Partners, 2003, $125 million in committed capital and Pan-African Investment Partners II, 2009, $492 in committed capital. Kingdom Zephyr has offices in Johannesburg, Accra, Lagos, London and New York. Additionally, Zephyr Capital were the first to invest in Celtel Africa, along with Mo Ibrahim.
Prior to founding Zephyr, Mr. Barry was President and CEO of Rockefeller & Co., the investment management arm of the Rockefeller family, from 1983 to 1993. Previously, Mr. Barry was employed by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc. from 1969 to 1982, where among other responsibilities he was President of T. Rowe Price New Horizons Fund and Director of Research.
Mr. Barry received an MBA from Harvard Business School in 1969 and an undergraduate degree from Yale University in 1966 where he majored in Latin American Studies. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst.
On the 6th of August, we will have Tom Barry, for a talk, from 2:00pm -4:00pm at the iHub in Nairobi.
To attend this talk, please register here
No comments yet
Leave a Reply
- .NET Meetup: Focus on Application Lifecycle Management | Wednesday, 29th May | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub
- Social Entrepreneurship Happy Hour, Featuring Sanergy | Tuesday 28th May, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm | iHub
- Open Data in Developing Countries -Monitoring and Evaluation study on Kenyan OD technologies
- Understanding The edTech Ecosystem in Kenya – Wireless Wednesday Recap
- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – 2013 L’Oreal-UNESCO: Regional fellowship for Women in Science in Sub-Saharan Africa