Uncategorized By Patrick Munyi / July 21, 2011
Nokia: Create for Millions Contest
Nokia has announced “Create for Millions” a global competition that brings consumers and developers together to create applications for Nokia’s Series 40 mobile phones. Create for Millions also provides developers an opportunity to bring Java and web apps to millions of consumers worldwide and win their share of cash and prizes valued at One Million Euros.
Nokia’s Series 40 mobile phones play a key role in Nokia’s strategy to bring the Web to the next billion, particularly in emerging markets where a consumer’s first web experience is often through the mobile phone. As the largest mobile platform in the world by volume, more than half a billion Nokia Series 40 mobile phones are in consumer’s hands today.
Nokia East and Southern Africa is also holding a localized version of this contest which will be launched on the 29th of July at iHub Nairobi from 12pm. Three winners will be chosen by a select panel of judges and they will be flown to London on an all expense-paid trip to attend Nokia World which will be held in October 26th – 27th, 2011.
Please note that one entry qualifies you for both the local and the global “Create for Millions competition”.
The Create for Millions contest features four categories where you can bring out your best work for Nokia’s Series 40 phones:
- In the Know – we’re seeking your Series 40 web apps focusing on news and location-based information.
- Fun & Games – we’re eager to try your Series 40 Java games and entertainment apps that will fill those spare moments during the day with amusing, unforgettable diversions.
- Emotional Closeness – this is your chance to submit social networking apps that are developed either as Series 40 Java apps or web apps.
- Access to Knowledge – we want your life improvement apps (e.g., education, health, etc.), and in this category we’ll accept either Series 40 Java apps or web apps, too.
How to enter the contest?
As a Consumer:
Nokia’s Create for Millions challenges consumers to submit their best ideas for the applications they’d like to see on Nokia Series 40 mobile phones. Authors of the winning entries may see their ideas come to life in person at Nokia World later this year and can meet the developers who created them. In addition to a free expenses-paid trip to Nokia World, winning consumer’s can play with their new app on the latest Nokia Series 40 phone given during Nokia World.
Consumers are encouraged to submit ideas in one of three categories: health & education; social networking & location; and games & infotainment. Additionally, consumers can vote on entries and comment or collaborate on ideas already submitted. Click here on details of how to enter.
As a Developer:
To enter Nokia’s Create for Millions contest, you will need to first publish your new Series 40 Java or web app to Ovi Store, and then complete the contest registration form by clicking here.
Please note: Preference will be given to new applications, originally published to Nokia’s Ovi Store after 15th June 2011.
You must provide the following when you enter the contest:
- Valid contact details
- The content item URL from Nokia’s Ovi Store.
- A short demo video to showcase your app
- For each of the four contest categories listed above, there will be 10 cash prizes, with a top prize of 50,000 Euros in each category.
- Top apps in each category win a variety of non-cash prizes such as user experience reviews and app marketing assistance.
- In addition, special prizes will be awarded to apps that showcase the best touch feature in an app, the best location-aware app and the best overall Series 40 web app.
And remember: The East and Southern Africa competition submission deadline is 2nd September 2011. The Global deadline to enter Create for Millions is 20th September 2011.
To attend this event at the iHub, Please register here
No comments yet
Leave a Reply
- Characteristics of Incident Reporters on Twitter
- Pivot East 2013 Finalists.
- .NET Meetup: Focus on Application Lifecycle Management | Wednesday, 29th May | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub
- Social Entrepreneurship Happy Hour, Featuring Sanergy | Tuesday 28th May, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm | iHub
- Open Data in Developing Countries -Monitoring and Evaluation study on Kenyan OD technologies