Uncategorized By Hilda Moraa / June 15, 2011
Pivot25 Day 2 Samsung presentation by Robert Ngeru, Commerial Director East and Central Africa
On the second day of Pivot25, Robert Ngeru, Commercial Director of East and Central Africa, briefly presented the latest news from Samsung including its current largest project, “Samsung Chat,” a free Samsung-to-Samsung device chat service.
Samsung focuses on creating solutions for the societies we live in, with a “Build for Africa” theme. The company is supporting many initiatives with local drive and different strategies and is also a big supporter of m:Lab and other local universities.
Samsung supports Android strongly. Last year, 10 million devices were shipped on Android, and Samsung is working on furthering Android aggressively.
Samsung’s largest current project is the Samsung Chat. One can chat with any other Samsung device around the world, free of charge. Samsung Chat is SMS-based.
A developers contest is coming out soon in mid-July, and all developers are welcome.
The biggest drive globally is smart phones. Samsung has come up with the new Galaxy S2, set to come out next month. The device will be thinner than the previous Galaxy and is organized to be more intuitive. Tablets are also a focus. Next week, Samsung is launching a new 10.1 inch tablet that operates both as a tablet and also as a phone. The tablet uses Android, has dual Wi-fi, 1.2 processor, and all Microsoft Office applications are free on the tablet.
Samsung is always looking to partner with other local teams to create innovations that will build innovation in Africa.
No comments yet
Leave a Reply
- .NET Meetup: Focus on Application Lifecycle Management | Wednesday, 29th May | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub
- Social Entrepreneurship Happy Hour, Featuring Sanergy | Tuesday 28th May, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm | iHub
- Open Data in Developing Countries -Monitoring and Evaluation study on Kenyan OD technologies
- Understanding The edTech Ecosystem in Kenya – Wireless Wednesday Recap
- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – 2013 L’Oreal-UNESCO: Regional fellowship for Women in Science in Sub-Saharan Africa
Tag Cloudafrica community design developers event fireside chat ict Ideas iHub iHubResearch (R@iHub) Innovation internet kenya launch Meetups microsoft mobile nairobi open data PIVOT25 private sector projects Research robotics startups talks techies training Umati volunteers
- Winners of Pivot25 Announced!
- Pivot25 Day 2 Fireside Chat on the State of Venture Capital and the African Startup
- Pivot25 Day 2 Presentation by Ken Mwenda of eMobilis
- Google Presentation by Dennis Gikunda, Senior Program Manager for Google, Sub-Saharan Africa
- Pivot25 Fireside Chat on the Role of Government in ICT and Private Stakeholder Participation