Uncategorized By Hilda Moraa / June 15, 2011
Pivot25 Day 2 Presentation by Ken Mwenda of eMobilis
m:Lab is a regional mobile laboratory. There are currently only two in Africa (South Africa and Kenya). m:Lab is funded by an infoDev grant (with support from the Government of Finland, and Nokia) and is comprised of a consortium of four organizations (UoN, iHub, eMobilis, and World Wide Web Foundation).
Deliverables of m:Lab
- 40 trained students per year
- Physical space for incubation and shared services (Bishop Magua 3rd Floor)
- Pivot25 Competition
- Create 8 apps
- Create knowledge repository online
- Incubate 7 start-ups
- Launch a consumer insight study
- Test suite, certification and signing of apps
m:Lab is focusing on J2ME, PHP, MYSQQL, ANDROID, USSD, and SMS Incubation. m:Lab also has resources for incubatees to learn skills IVR, DOTMOBI, and business skills.
eMobilis is a mobile dedicated training institution that formed two years ago. eMobilis has a focus on mobile network infrastructure and mobile application software development. eMobilis is focus on entrepreneurship and has enrolled 300 students as well as IT managers. Nathan Eagle (Txteagle) created the eMobilis curriculum.
eMobilis was formed because:
1. Safaricom overtook East African Breweries Ltd. (overtaking beer = a sign of the real ascent of mobile);
2. For every PC in Sub-Saharan Africa, there are 14 mobile phones;
3. App Stores: potential and market is there;
4. Telecommunication Industry growth – ther is high demand but lack of qualified individuals.
- Internet access through mobile devices rather than PC (implications for the kids of sites)
- Latent demand for mobile apps
- Low barriers to entry for developers
- Mobile networks: world’s largest distribution and communication platform
- Mobile phone services in Africa much more than 600 million people
- Innovative apps are developed in emerging markets that are serving as models for the rest of the world.
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- Intel Shark Tank: Wednesday 11th December, 2013 | 5 – 8 pm | iHub
- This week at iHub
- Airtel Money Developer Session Wednesday 4th Dec from 1:30-5:30pm
- Marketing and PR with Patricia Mbatia on Monday 2nd Dec from 3pm
- IBM Research – Africa @ Nairobi Research Buzz
Tag Cloudafrica apps community design developers Entrepreneurship event ict iHub iHubResearch (R@iHub) Innovation Intel kenya launch Meetups microsoft mobile nairobi open data outreach PIVOT25 Research Social Entrepreneurship startups talks Tech Technology training Umati women
- Winners of Pivot25 Announced!
- Pivot25 Day 2 Fireside Chat on the State of Venture Capital and the African Startup
- Google Presentation by Dennis Gikunda, Senior Program Manager for Google, Sub-Saharan Africa
- Pivot25 Day 2 Samsung presentation by Robert Ngeru, Commerial Director East and Central Africa
- Pivot25 Fireside Chat on the Role of Government in ICT and Private Stakeholder Participation