Uncategorized By Hilda Moraa / June 15, 2011
Google Presentation by Dennis Gikunda, Senior Program Manager for Google, Sub-Saharan Africa
There is a growing middle class in Africa, which means increasingly Africa is becoming a very important market to look at. It is also a very diverse market and to come up with proper products, Google must look at things through the lens of clients.
78% of East Africans who have mobile Internet only use their mobile to access the web. 50% start their mobile Internet use with a Google web search.
2010 and beyond will be the decade of mobile. In 2012, it is predicted that mobile Internet users will surpass desktop Internet users. There are some major trends for mobile:
Google’s goal is to create meaningful impact in a long-term way. Therefore, they are working to address many of the barriers to entry including access (infrastructure, points of presence) and availability.
Finally, don’t forget to enter the Google Regional Android Developer Challenge (http://code.google.com/android/adcafrica/). All application submissions are due on July 1, 2011. There are two rounds of vetting and three categories under which you can submit your apps. Winners in each category will be announced September 12th and will be awarded $25,000.
No comments yet
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- ICT and Governance in East Africa : Preliminary Fieldwork Findings (Part 2)- Apac and Lira
- Reality Check: Will Your Company Out Live You?
- Startup Grind Nairobi Hosts Erik Hersman
- NRBUZZ: Drones for Agricultural Monitoring in Kenya
- [Sale] Say Hi to the Pi
Tag Cloudafrica Akirachix apps community dangerous speech design developers Entrepreneurship event fireside chat ict iHub iHubResearch (R@iHub) Innovation Intel kenya m:lab microsoft mobile nairobi open data outreach PIVOT25 Research Social Entrepreneurship startups Tech Technology training Umati
- Winners of Pivot25 Announced!
- Pivot25 Day 2 Fireside Chat on the State of Venture Capital and the African Startup
- Pivot25 Day 2 Presentation by Ken Mwenda of eMobilis
- Pivot25 Day 2 Samsung presentation by Robert Ngeru, Commerial Director East and Central Africa
- Pivot25 Fireside Chat on the Role of Government in ICT and Private Stakeholder Participation