iHub By Joshua Musau / December 6, 2010
Rupu – an online social marketing platform is launched at the iHub
The world of digital social marketing has rapidly evolved over the last few years. So fast that organisations are tapping into this tool to help market their products and services. Today marks the launch of rupu.co.ke, a revolutionary digital social marketing platform that benefits both businesses and consumers. rupu is a digital collective buying and social marketing tool that leverages the influence of social applications such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, MSN and Yahoo Chat. Rupu works in three easy steps:
- Our subscribers receive daily alerts via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter feeds on daily deals to great local businesses;
- They then share these deals with their friend across social networks;
- Once the deal is activated, our subscribers then present their voucher (print or mobile device) at the business to get their deal.
Rupu aggregates the power of collective buying and negotiates large discounts with great local businesses to offer one deal each day at an incredibly low price. Deals are only up on the site for 24hrs. The deals are activated only when a minimum number of people agree to buy” said Mr. Benson Maina, rupu Head of Marketing, during the launch. Mr. Maina added that, “By requiring a minimum number of buyers, rupuguarantees its businesses a tonne of customers therefore ensuring subscribers get maximum discounts. This is called Collective Buying. In addition, consumers are able to get rupu deals via their mobile devices, plus extend rupu gifts to their friends, family and colleagues”.
Benefits to businesses marketing via rupu is that since it is a platform that facilitates online discussions, consumers are able to express their views, opinions, recommendations and complaints about certain products. rupu enables businesses to engage in conversations with their customers and listen to their feedback on what improvements their product can use as well as give an opportunity to address their views. Engaging rupu not only guarantees businesses foot traffic through their doors, but more importantly, repeat customers.
The Internet has arguably become an indispensable part of everyday life. It is for this reason that social marketing can be naturally integrated in people’s daily lives in a form that is non-intrusive and thereby acceptable to many. Here is a short video of rupu:
Paul Kevin at 15:31:02PM Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Site images are slow on loading……should not use html resizing but create different image sizes on upload. Does not load on chrome….It still needs work. They should have not launched it before testing it with a groupReply
Paul Kevin at 15:33:11PM Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Angie at 17:44:13PM Thursday, December 9, 2010
Eeeeh, Paul Kevin,
I visit Rupu in chrome and it works fine. Perhaps its a problem with YOUR chrome as opposed to everyone’s?Reply
h2 at 10:43:51AM Friday, December 10, 2010
ditto angie. working well in chrome here.
maxi Ngari at 05:55:32AM Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Does Rupu.co.ke have a User Experience designer??
Ans. I dont think soReply
Paul Kevin at 09:48:26AM Monday, January 17, 2011
Why did they build it using Magento?Reply
Leave a Reply
- .NET Meetup: Focus on Application Lifecycle Management | Wednesday, 29th May | 6 – 7:30 pm | iHub
- Social Entrepreneurship Happy Hour, Featuring Sanergy | Tuesday 28th May, 2013 | 6:30 – 8:30 pm | iHub
- Open Data in Developing Countries -Monitoring and Evaluation study on Kenyan OD technologies
- Understanding The edTech Ecosystem in Kenya – Wireless Wednesday Recap
- CALL FOR APPLICATIONS – 2013 L’Oreal-UNESCO: Regional fellowship for Women in Science in Sub-Saharan Africa