iHub By Erik Hersman / October 18, 2010
Welcoming the First Green Members
Congratulations to the 102 first Green Members to the iHub!
Check your email to see if your application was successful.
Your Green membership allows you to come into the iHub and use the space as your own. We’ve put the foundation in place, now it’s up to you to make something of it. In here, you’ll have first dibs on seats for incoming talks by Kenya’s most successful CEO’s and thought leaders, a chance to meet your peers and work on new projects, get preferred access to the job and events boards (coming soon), sync with our corporate partners (Nokia, Google, Microsoft, and Wananchi) and use the high-speed 20Mbs fiber connection provided by Zuku.
- You’ll need to come into the iHub to collect your new ID card, since this is what will clear you to come into the iHub from now on.
- This really is your space now, and it’ll need your involvement. Think of ways you can support the iHub, whether it’s helping with the network, website, starting a user-group meeting, mentoring or something of your own design.
- Get to know others, do cool stuff.
(Membership types explained, basically, Green means that you can walk in and use the facility for free.)
Volunteering your skills at the iHub is what makes this place really tick. The whole website and programming for the approvals area is thanks to designers and programmers volunteering their time to make it come together. A HUGE thank you to Joshua Musau who led the effort, along with Charles Kithika, James Gutu and Jepchumba.
Green Member Applications and Approvals
We’re up to 1500+ “White” members, who have online access to all of the features that are going up on the website, and had about 225 green membership applications that were put in on time to review. The iHub advisors took about 3 days to read and review each application. The primary reasons for people not being accepted were:
- Not enough information. Many people wrote only 1 sentence about why they should be a considered for membership.
- No picture. If you don’t have a real picture of yourself, your application is not considered complete and isn’t considered.
- Weak portfolio. Designers and programmers both need to have enough info to show that they’ve actually made/done things in the past.
Though we wanted to accept everyone, we had to set a limit on this first wave of Green members due to the size of the space. As we better understand how it is used, we will open accept new waves of Green membership applications. Those who applied this time, and weren’t successful, will have the chance to update their application and resubmit.
Bernard at 12:36:15PM Monday, October 18, 2010
I did not get the form for filling detail for the Green Membership. Is there a chance that i can get them, please someone send them to me, i’ll appreciate.
charles at 13:23:54PM Monday, October 18, 2010
guess then i’ll work on my portfolio n try next time. Thanx.Reply
charles at 13:44:10PM Monday, October 18, 2010
Guess will have to work on my portfolio and try next time. thanx guys for the opportunity.Reply
Jessica Colaco at 13:53:49PM Monday, October 18, 2010
Thanks for your interest. Applications for green membership are currently closed. We will be announcing the next wave in a few months time and you can apply then. ThanksReply
Jessica Colaco at 13:55:00PM Monday, October 18, 2010
You are welcome. Do work on your portfolio and apply for the next round in a few months timeReply
Ishuah Kariuki at 17:19:58PM Monday, October 18, 2010
Thank you iHub for the green membership! Technology Hub for Kenyans, iHub’s the bestReply
kalekachali at 18:30:43PM Monday, October 18, 2010
@Erik hersman, you’re very welcome. You forgot to say that the site is built from scratch up. No CMSes like buddypress were involved.Reply
Webmaster-X at 18:15:18PM Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Man am I excited!! Cant wait to do some serious stuff up in there! Cheers, and thanks. Soli Deo Gloria.Reply
Robert at 13:24:19PM Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Now that i know about the Green membership,i will apply the next!
mercy at 15:47:48PM Wednesday, October 20, 2010
hey am so excited to join the i hub team …thank u so much for believing in me! i cant wait to show you my creative side am so excited ! thanx a lot ! cheers!Reply
Shiro at 09:33:53AM Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Hi iHub. I got a blank email from iHub. Does that mean I was rejected or accepted?Reply
Wangai at 17:03:03PM Thursday, November 4, 2010
Am excited about ihub though I didnt get the gren membership
but I will try next time.
- iHub Cluster
- iHub Consulting
- iHub Research
- iHub Robotics
- iHub UXlab
- PIVOT East partners with Tech hubs for 2014 startups competition
- Screening of Girl Rising – empowering young women in ICT and entrepreneurship
- Why calling yourself a Startup could be Killing your Business
- INTEL IDEATION CAMP
- A Recap of #UmatiForum: The Many Faces of Online Hate Speech in Kenya